POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Text to paths : Re: Text to paths Server Time
31 Jul 2024 10:20:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Text to paths
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 4 Jun 2007 23:12:36
Message: <MPG.20ce8280afe7873a98a00c@news.povray.org>
In article <4664c99b$1@news.povray.org>, dig### [at] gmailcom
says...
> Tim Attwood wrote:
> >> Is there a way to make text follow a path? Are there any include files
> >> available that will allow me to do this?
> >
> > You can redirect any or all of the message streams to a file.
> > (3.1.2.7.3  Directing Text Streams to Files)
> >
> > For example putting +GAfilename.txt in the command line will
> > echo all the messages to filename.txt.
> >
> > Or you could put All_File=filename.txt in your ini file.
> >

> Not exactly what he was asking...  But I'm interested as well in
> something like this.  May have to look into this idea more in the near
> future.

Well, I think you can do a trace on a spline and use the normal for it
to "place" the text, but that isn't *quite* the same thing. A true text
+ path system, like used in Photoshop, uses the spline path to "change"
the font's own splines, so that its stretched and warped to fit the
path. Mind you, some times that isn't what you want, but sometimes it
is, and there is no direct way to do that in POVRay, as far as I know.
And I am just guessing, based on a lot of other, "How do I place objects
at specific/random places on a surface?", type threads.

--
void main () {

    call functional_code()
  else