POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray Includes - Organisation Server Time
1 Aug 2024 00:24:38 EDT (-0400)
  POV-Ray Includes - Organisation (Message 31 to 38 of 38)
From: Chris B
Subject: Re: POV-Ray Includes - Organisation
Date: 11 Dec 2006 15:51:30
Message: <457dc4d2$1@news.povray.org>
"Gilles Tran" <tra### [at] inapgfr> wrote in message

> news: 457d907f@news.povray.org...
>
>> Ben suggested the following categories as a starting point for a 'type'
>> based categorisation:
>> - Textures
>
> (These threads are long so please ignore the following if already
> discussed)
>
> IMHO it should be possible to add resource materials that are not made of
> POV-Ray SDL.

I don't think this has been specifically discussed yet, but it's not
necessarily a problem with the solution that has been discussed. So long as
the files are prefixed with the appropriate contribution ID, then I don't
see a problem with having any variety of files and file types as you need to
make a contribution work. The application code on the server managing the
download would create an archive incorporating the entire contribution.

> Bitmaps textures (simple or HDRI) are the more obvious case - bitmaps are
> often part of packaged scenes or objects -, but other stuff could go there
> too, including non-SDL models (think Wings or Blender models), packaged
> tutorials, BVH files, little software utilities etc. I realise that this
> opens another can of worms, but this is done in other 3D communities, and
> lots of people have non-SDL material to offer.

One of the things that was discussed was also the possibility of
incorporating more sophisticated contributions which I've suggested could
enable the contents of the archive to evade some of the file naming
conventions. I'm a bit biased on this as I would like to contribute a
complex set of files which incorporates a variety of BVH files, converter
utilities, model sources and sets of pose files, clothing files etc. and I'd
prefer not to have to rename them all.

> The fact that non-SDL goodies could be used by users of other software may
> be a good thing (more public exposure for POV-Ray and its community) or
> not (extra server load, more potential license troubles since non-SDL
> goodies are likely to have a higher commercial value than SDL ones).
>
> G.

Regards,
Chris B.

Post a reply to this message