POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray Includes - Organisation : Re: POV-Ray Includes - Organisation Server Time
31 Jul 2024 22:17:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray Includes - Organisation
From: Chris B
Date: 12 Dec 2006 04:45:18
Message: <457e7a2e$1@news.povray.org>
"Ben Chambers" <ben### [at] pacificwebguycom> wrote in message
> It all looks good so far, of course I only gave it a quick read :)
>
> There are two things I'd like to further suggest, however:
>
> 1) All contributions should be required to submit to a particular
> (non-exclusive) license, similar to what the IRTC does.  Ie, "I agree to
> the standard license, and allow anyone with access to this repository to
> use my contribution for any purpose whatsoever, including making changes
> and submitting patches to the repository."  Or something like that.  The
> point is, if I access something from the repository, I don't want to have
> to read over the license for it to determine whether or not I should use
> it.

Sabrina made the same point. I can see both sides. One aspect of it that I
don't think was yet discussed is that if someone creates something based on
another Open Source license, then they may not be able to comply with our
license terms without breaking the terms of that other license. I guess the
answer is that they can still publish on their own web site and add a link
into the povray links collection or promote it on these newsgroups.

Two ways forward on this question spring to mind. We could have a vote on it
or we could start by requiring a common license and ease up if it seems to
be causing a problem.

> 2) In the vein of "value-added features", I'd recommend allowing users to
> rate the individual files according to several criteria, such as
> Completeness, Usability, Realism, Uniqueness, etc (those are just
> examples), as well as add comments / reviews about them.  If a submission
> has multiple versions, allow the viewing of aggregate reviews (for all
> versions combined), or for a single version.
>
> ...Chambers

I like this idea.

Regards,
Chris B.