POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Real benefit of a 64 bit Pov binary on a 64 bit CPU in a 64 bit opsys? Server Time
1 Aug 2024 08:23:36 EDT (-0400)
  Real benefit of a 64 bit Pov binary on a 64 bit CPU in a 64 bit opsys? (Message 29 to 38 of 68)
From: Warp
Subject: Re: Real benefit of a 64 bit Pov binary on a 64 bit CPU in a 64 bit opsys?
Date: 2 Aug 2006 08:44:49
Message: <44d09e40@news.povray.org>
Vincent Le Chevalier <gal### [at] libertyallsurfspamfr> wrote:
> In the light of this discussion, one has to wonder why would the average
> desktop user need a 64-bit system anyway. Are we going to eat up 4GB of
> RAM using word processors and browsing the web ? Talk about bloat :-)

  Remember the time when a 100MB hard disk was HUGE? Probably many thought
back then "why would the average user need such a huge hard disk?"
  This was probably the case with every major developement in computers.
And history shows us that even though we *now* can't think of anything
really necessary, there *will* be something. Resources create the needs.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message