POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Real benefit of a 64 bit Pov binary on a 64 bit CPU in a 64 bit opsys? : Re: Real benefit of a 64 bit Pov binary on a 64 bit CPU in a 64 bit opsys? Server Time
1 Aug 2024 08:22:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Real benefit of a 64 bit Pov binary on a 64 bit CPU in a 64 bit opsys?
From: Darren New
Date: 2 Aug 2006 13:06:53
Message: <44d0dbad@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   I was just asking, out of curiosity, what is it that makes some people
> believe that a 64-bit system should/might be twice as fast (or just faster
> by some degrees) than an equivalent 32-bit system.

Analogies with other things that work that way, like a V-8 engine having
twice the acceleration than a 4-banger.

>   It just feels that people never stop to think rationally about these
> things. "What does it actually mean that it's a 64-bit system?"

And some folks don't even know that much, before they ask. Some people
learn this stuff from the top down, as it were. :-)

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     This octopus isn't tasty. Too many