POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : QNAN - Error... Server Time
1 Aug 2024 02:20:05 EDT (-0400)
  QNAN - Error... (Message 1 to 10 of 19)
From: Tim Nikias
Subject: QNAN - Error...
Date: 24 Mar 2006 10:56:38
Message: <442416b6$1@news.povray.org>
I've got a weird problem with POV-Ray and I/O...

What I do is write a series of floats and vectors to a file to save the
transformation of a sphere. I have a macro which gets called and checks if
the matrix is perpendicular and valid. The file is written after that check.

Nontheless, I get "1.#QNAN" in my file, which of course can't be read. The
problem doesn't appear all the time, seems to be slightly persistent when I
make no scene-changes, but generally, it happens right out of the blue. It's
a single file with which it happens, it runs properly on about 50 other file
(I'm using my Rolling-Script in conjunction with my particle system).

Any idea how to check if POV-Ray writes a QNAN instead of a value? I'm
stumped, because POV-Ray doesn't return warning messages or faults with
divide by zero or such. Why should it write a QNAN then?

Regards,
Tim

--
aka "Tim Nikias v2.0"
Homepage: <http://www.nolights.de>

Post a reply to this message

 "Tim Nikias" <JUSTTHELOWERCASE:timISNOTnikias(at)gmx.netWARE> wrote:

> I've got a weird problem with POV-Ray and I/O...
>
> What I do is write a series of floats and vectors to a file to save the
> transformation of a sphere. I have a macro which gets called and checks if
> the matrix is perpendicular and valid. The file is written after that check.
>
> Nontheless, I get "1.#QNAN" in my file, which of course can't be read. The
> problem doesn't appear all the time, seems to be slightly persistent when I
> make no scene-changes, but generally, it happens right out of the blue. It's
> a single file with which it happens, it runs properly on about 50 other file
> (I'm using my Rolling-Script in conjunction with my particle system).
>
> Any idea how to check if POV-Ray writes a QNAN instead of a value? I'm
> stumped, because POV-Ray doesn't return warning messages or faults with
> divide by zero or such. Why should it write a QNAN then?
>
> Regards,
> Tim

The IEEE standard defines two classes of NaN: quiet NaNs (QNaNs) and
signaling NaNs (SNaNs). A QNaN is a NaN with the most significant
fraction bit set; an SNaN is a NaN with the most significant fraction
bit clear. QNaNs are allowed to propagate through most arithmetic
operations without signaling an exception. SNaNs generally signal an
invalid-operation excep-tion whenever they appear as operands in
arithmetic operations.

I was just thinking that Division by zero in float should not give a
NAN strictly speaking because you can never really express a ZERO in
float, instead it will be a small residual value.

--
klp

Post a reply to this message

kurtz le pirate <kur### [at] yahoofr> wrote:
> I was just thinking that Division by zero in float should not give a
> NAN strictly speaking because you can never really express a ZERO in
> float, instead it will be a small residual value.

  Doesn't division by zero give INF?

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

> The IEEE standard defines two classes of NaN: quiet NaNs (QNaNs) and
> signaling NaNs (SNaNs). A QNaN is a NaN with the most significant
> fraction bit set; an SNaN is a NaN with the most significant fraction
> bit clear. QNaNs are allowed to propagate through most arithmetic
> operations without signaling an exception. SNaNs generally signal an
> invalid-operation excep-tion whenever they appear as operands in
> arithmetic operations.
>
> I was just thinking that Division by zero in float should not give a
> NAN strictly speaking because you can never really express a ZERO in
> float, instead it will be a small residual value.

Hm, all that's pretty interesting and such, but is there any way that I can
check for that in order to prevent POV-Ray writing 1.#QNAN instead of some
number? Should I perhaps check if something is below a certain threshold
value, but not 0, and then do something appropriate to/for the data (e.g. if
it's a vector from a matrix, add+normalize+regenerate a little). Basically,
I take it that this is some sort of precision problem, the kind you can get
when working with too small or too large numbers. Is that a correct
assumption? I might have to write myself a script to generate QNANs in order
to "experiment" what I can do about them... Unless someone already knows a
fool-proof way of generating one?

Regards,
Tim

--
aka "Tim Nikias v2.0"
Homepage: <http://www.nolights.de>

Post a reply to this message

> I might have to write myself a script to generate QNANs in order
> to "experiment" what I can do about them...

yes, i think this is a good step.

> Unless someone already knows a fool-proof way of generating one?

i don't know. povray'programmers team should provide you more about
that

--
klp

Post a reply to this message