POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : QNAN - Error... : Re: QNAN - Error... Server Time
1 Aug 2024 04:10:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: QNAN - Error...
From: Chris B
Date: 27 Mar 2006 13:41:21
Message: <442831d1@news.povray.org>

news:44281e86$1@news.povray.org...
> Those kind of numbers are
> usually generated by the floating point hardware and the code that
> writes them as the string "QNAN" is in the standard C library, so a
> search through the povray code shouldn't turn up anything...
>
> Jerome

Ah OK.
Well is there something Tim could do to detect this from within POV-Ray
before writing it out to the file?

I had one idea. Don't know if it's valid or whether it might be a stupid
idea, but , if it's an intermittent problem with the FPU (an overflow or
something), then could he perform each calculation twice and compare the
results? (either with a numeric comparison or converting the numbers to
strings)

Chris B.