POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : QNAN - Error... : Re: QNAN - Error... Server Time
1 Aug 2024 04:11:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: QNAN - Error...
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 27 Mar 2006 07:18:56
Message: <4427d830$1@news.povray.org>
> i don't know. povray'programmers team should provide you more about
> that

Well, then let this post be my cry for help to the programmers! :-)

I'm not sure, I've tried simply successively dividing by 2 or 10 to get
smaller and smaller numbers. Interesting enough is that when you divide 1 by
10 and use str(Value,1,50) you find another fraction somewhere (but this is
of course floating point arithmetic and the troubles associated with it,
just interesting to see it in person). Neither of the two methods get me a
QNAN though, the only thing I ended up with when building a number by hand
(using a while-loop to add "0"s behind the comma and a "1" at the end) was a
string too long error.

Another interesting thing to note is that I'm starting to think that this
QNAN is more a problem with vectors than with single floating point values.
Cause everytime I get the QNAN in my matrix-output (which I simply output as
3 vectors for the three axis') I get the QNAN in x, y and z, not just a
single spot of the vector. OTOH, the vector-arithmetic might end up with an
invalid vector (using vcross a few times to build a matrix out of a few
vectors) and thus get me the QNAN in every dimension... Well well, gotta go
look further until some POV-Ray-programming-wiz stumbles upon this post and
knows where to look. :-)

Regards,
Tim

--