POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : 3 Gb memory limit? Server Time
1 Aug 2024 12:25:27 EDT (-0400)
  3 Gb memory limit? (Message 1 to 10 of 18)
From: Ger
Subject: 3 Gb memory limit?
Date: 11 Mar 2006 08:10:08
Message: <4412cc30@news.povray.org>
When trying to run a render that uses over 3Gb memory I get this error

  0:01:18 Creating vista bufferPOVMS_ASSERT failed in povms.cpp line 2183:
POVMSObject_Set failed, out of memory
POVMS_ASSERT failed in povms.cpp line 2849: POVMSAttr_Set failed, out of
memory
POVMS_ASSERT failed in povms.cpp line 2183: POVMSObject_Set failed, out of
memory
POVMS_ASSERT failed in povms.cpp line 2183: POVMSObject_Set failed, out of
memory
POVMS_ASSERT failed in povms.cpp line 2183: POVMSObject_Set failed, out of
memory
Segmentation fault

Keeping it below 3Gb (by reducing the number of lights) it works fine.

Just wondering if I should keep that 3Gb limit in mind or if there is
something else going wrong.

Running:
Athlon 64x2 3800+
4 Gb mem internal (6Gb swap) (so available mem should not be a problem)
Suse 10 with Linux athlon64 2.6.13-15-bigsmp kernel
Self compiled Povray 3.6.1
--
Ger

Post a reply to this message

> Just wondering if I should keep that 3Gb limit in mind or if there is
> something else going wrong.
>
> Running:
> Athlon 64x2 3800+
> 4 Gb mem internal (6Gb swap) (so available mem should not be a problem)
> Suse 10 with Linux athlon64 2.6.13-15-bigsmp kernel
> Self compiled Povray 3.6.1

I suggest you check your system configuration and compiler settings.
POV-Ray has no internal limitations concerning memory use.

Christoph

http://www.imagico.de/ (Last updated 31 Oct. 2005)

> I suggest you check your system configuration and compiler settings.
> POV-Ray has no internal limitations concerning memory use.
>
> Christoph

Okay, thanks Christoph. I'm just trying to eliminate possible causes.
Next step is reinstall the system and try again :)
--
Ger

Post a reply to this message

> Next step is reinstall the system and try again :)

Ah, yes.  The Microsoft solution.

Regards,
John
(who couldn't resist)

Post a reply to this message

>> Next step is reinstall the system and try again :)
>
> Ah, yes.  The Microsoft solution.
>
> Regards,
> John
> (who couldn't resist)