POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : 3 Gb memory limit? : Re: 3 Gb memory limit? Server Time
1 Aug 2024 04:12:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 3 Gb memory limit?
From: Sabrina Kilian
Date: 12 Mar 2006 19:06:43
Message: <4414b793$1@news.povray.org>
Ger wrote:
> Christoph Hormann wrote:

>>> Ah, yes.  The Microsoft solution.
>> But that only works on Microsoft system - elsewhere performing the same
>> installation once more will not lead you any further...
>>
>> Christoph
>>
> The most likely reason for the troubles I'm seeing these last 2 weeks is the
> fact that I increased memory from 2 to 4 Gb, switched out the video card
> and added an Adaptec UW320 controller.Because of the memory I had to switch
> kernel. It's in this kernel switching together with the new drivers that
> something got screwy.

Have you checked ulimit to see what your stack size and allowed virtual
memory are? 'ulimit -a' at the console should give you the values that
the system is currently set to allow. I'm not sure what Suse would set
their defaults at, but I think they would pick more conservative defaults.
The other option would be the memory settings in the kernel, but that
still shouldn't require a reinstall.

--
I want Linux to replace Windows, but I don't think this is what I had in
mind.