POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : pov64 - linux advice wanted please! Server Time
1 Aug 2024 12:20:53 EDT (-0400)
  pov64 - linux advice wanted please! (Message 51 to 60 of 60)
From: jhu
Subject: Re: pov64 - linux advice wanted please!
Date: 6 Dec 2005 08:00:00
Message: <web.43958a33869045be94173ef0@news.povray.org>
I've done informal testing using the benchmark scene before and after I
upgraded. Here are my results. Your results may vary:

1.6 GHz Duron
Time For Parse:    0 hours  0 minutes   3.0 seconds (3 seconds)
Time For Photon:   0 hours  0 minutes  60.0 seconds (60 seconds)
Time For Trace:    0 hours 39 minutes  43.0 seconds (2383 seconds)
Total Time:    0 hours 40 minutes  46.0 seconds (2446 seconds)

1.6 Ghz Sempron 64, 32-bit
Time For Parse:    0 hours  0 minutes   3.0 seconds (3 seconds)
Time For Photon:   0 hours  0 minutes  53.0 seconds (53 seconds)
Time For Trace:    0 hours 33 minutes  45.0 seconds (2025 seconds)
Total Time:    0 hours 34 minutes  41.0 seconds (2081 seconds)

1.6 GHz Sempron 64, 64-bit
Parse Time:    0 hours  0 minutes  1 seconds (1 seconds)
Photon Time:   0 hours  0 minutes 41 seconds (41 seconds)
Render Time:   0 hours 28 minutes 45 seconds (1725 seconds)
Total Time:    0 hours 29 minutes 27 seconds (1767 seconds)

"Tek" <tek### [at] evilsuperbraincom> wrote:
> Okay, google doesn't seem to be able to give me any clear advice on this
> one, so I'll ask you guys:
>
> I just bought an 64-bit AMD Turion based laptop, which irritatingly has
> 32-bit windows installed, so I'm thinking about doing a dual-boot with linux
> and using the 64-bit version of pov. I've already run a 32-bit test and my
> laptop's almost as fast as my desktop machine, so I assume it will be faster
> in 64-bit. Anyway what I want to know is this:
>
> 1/ what version of linux should I get?
> 2/ how much better is 64-bit pov compared to 32-bit on the same system?
> (i.e. is it worth the effort?)
>
> Now I realise there's no straight answer to question 1 but I'm getting SO
> annoyed with linux users! Whenever I ask one of the guys at work they always
> name about a dozen versions of linux I should try. It's an OS! I don't want
> to try it, I just want to install one and use it! I'm not scared of having
> to use a command prompt (I use linux remotely from a windows PC at work
> sometimes so I know my way around), I just want someone to tell me what the
> difference is between them.
>
> Can all versions of linux run povray? Can they all run the same programs,
> and if not why not? Do different ones run pov at different speeds? Are there
> special 64-bit versions of linux (like windows) or is it just exposed in a
> more implicit way?
>
> BTW, I've just started using emacs at work, so don't worry about suggesting
> a version of linux that's friendly for windows users, I can handle a steep
> learning curve (I'm going to regret saying that!).
>
> Please help me!
>
> Thanks
> --
> Tek
> http://evilsuperbrain.com

Post a reply to this message

Ooh that's less of an improvement than I was expecting. Still it could be
enough to make my 64 bit laptop very slightly quicker than my desktop
machine, rather than very slightly slower.

--
Tek
http://evilsuperbrain.com

Post a reply to this message