POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Round_Box with multiple Radii Server Time
1 Aug 2024 16:26:10 EDT (-0400)
  Round_Box with multiple Radii (Message 1 to 10 of 12)
From: Rick Measham
Subject: Round_Box with multiple Radii
Date: 30 Aug 2005 23:47:58
Message: <4315286e@news.povray.org>
I want to create a Round Box, but be able to specify Radii for each
corner (or at least for more than a universal setting). I figure this
will be an ISO Surface or a mesh (hopefully an ISO surface so it can
easily be called in a macro..)

Anyone help me out here?

I was thinking I could do it with CSG, but then realised it's not
possible as the 'sphere's in the corners aren't spheres -- not even
scaled spheres.

Cheers!
Rick Measham

Post a reply to this message

Rick Measham <rickm*at%isite.net.au> wrote:
> I want to create a Round Box, but be able to specify Radii for each
> corner (or at least for more than a universal setting). I figure this
> will be an ISO Surface or a mesh (hopefully an ISO surface so it can
> easily be called in a macro..)

  What makes an isosurface more easily callable in a macro than a mesh?

> I was thinking I could do it with CSG, but then realised it's not
> possible as the 'sphere's in the corners aren't spheres -- not even
> scaled spheres.

  The problem is not that the corners would not be spherical (I don't
understand why they couldn't be). The problem is that if each corner
has a sphere of different radius, the sides of the box become non-planar.

--

                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>   The problem is not that the corners would not be spherical (I don't
> understand why they couldn't be). The problem is that if each corner
> has a sphere of different radius, the sides of the box become non-planar.

It would be easier if you use only different radii for different edges,
but I'm not sure if that's what Rick wants...

HTH,
Florian

Post a reply to this message