POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Render distortion? Server Time
1 Aug 2024 18:29:28 EDT (-0400)
  Render distortion? (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Simon
Subject: Render distortion?
Date: 23 May 2005 20:00:24
Message: <42926e98$1@news.povray.org>
Hi there!
  I will soon start to make artistic scenes, possibly abstract ones, but
I'll try to put the abstraction inside a concrete environment or
container.  An example of what I would do might be like a julia fractal
object in a glass box in a museum.  Anyway...

  What I wanted to ask is that I got bored of the look of 3D pictures
(mine and others') in general.  They all feel the same; either
cartoonish or photo-realistic.  I certainly don't mean any harm to the
3D programming community as I still like to see those images.

  I'm looking for a way, using povray of course, to distort the images
in a way that they would look far from what we usually see on this
newsgroups, on the competitions or on TV.

  What I mean, again (cuz I know I express myself in strange ways!) is
to represent the same old reflective sphere on a checkered plane, with
the exact basic concept (nothing fancy like our newbies can come with),
but to apply a transformation to the resulting image (like some sort of
post-process) so the image looks different than the original, still we
should be able to understand the scene, feel the 3D.

  In other words, I'm looking for a series of functions or modifiers
that would work pretty much like a post-process.  Such as:
  rendering a colored scene in black&white
  having distoritions inside the camera such as a bump to appear as a
lens of some sort
  to trace the scene and render it as a regroupment of colored spheres
(this is too genuine pov still)

  Eventually, I would like to find some settings I like and declare them
as my personnal signature (no copyright involved, just artistic motion).

  I'm already thinking on rendering my image in different ways and then
read them again, to render the final image based on some analysis of the
previous renders.  But before I go into such a work, i was wondering if
there where some camera modifiers you know could make results look like
post-process?  As I am extremely visual, a description, an example
(image) or a given code that I can render myself would be very much
appreciated!

Thanks,
  Simon

Post a reply to this message

>   I will soon start to make artistic scenes, possibly abstract ones, but
> I'll try to put the abstraction inside a concrete environment or
> container.  An example of what I would do might be like a julia fractal
> object in a glass box in a museum.  Anyway...
>
>   What I wanted to ask is that I got bored of the look of 3D pictures
> (mine and others') in general.  They all feel the same; either
> cartoonish or photo-realistic.  I certainly don't mean any harm to the
> 3D programming community as I still like to see those images.
>
>   I'm looking for a way, using povray of course, to distort the images
> in a way that they would look far from what we usually see on this
> newsgroups, on the competitions or on TV.
>
>   What I mean, again (cuz I know I express myself in strange ways!) is
> to represent the same old reflective sphere on a checkered plane, with
> the exact basic concept (nothing fancy like our newbies can come with),
> but to apply a transformation to the resulting image (like some sort of
> post-process) so the image looks different than the original, still we
> should be able to understand the scene, feel the 3D.
>
>   In other words, I'm looking for a series of functions or modifiers
> that would work pretty much like a post-process.  Such as:
>   rendering a colored scene in black&white
>   having distoritions inside the camera such as a bump to appear as a
> lens of some sort
>   to trace the scene and render it as a regroupment of colored spheres
> (this is too genuine pov still)
>
>   Eventually, I would like to find some settings I like and declare them
> as my personnal signature (no copyright involved, just artistic motion).
>
>   I'm already thinking on rendering my image in different ways and then
> read them again, to render the final image based on some analysis of the
> previous renders.  But before I go into such a work, i was wondering if
> there where some camera modifiers you know could make results look like
> post-process?  As I am extremely visual, a description, an example
> (image) or a given code that I can render myself would be very much
> appreciated!

You mean like this?

light_source {<5,5,5> rgb <2,1.6,1.2>}
light_source {<-5,5,5> rgb <.6,.8,1>}
camera {location <0,5,5> look_at <0,0,0>
  normal {radial 40 frequency 3 rotate <60,0,0> translate <-0.6,-0.6,0>}}
plane {y,-1 texture{pigment{checker color rgb 1 color rgb 0}}}
sphere {<5,0,5.25> 1 pigment {rgb .5} finish {reflection .6}}

Look up the camera definition in the help file - there are different projection
types (like fisheye) as well as the ability to apply normals to the camera lens
(as in the above example).  I'm sure there are endless possibilities for what
you can create using these :)  For example, you could give an image an oil dab
painting look by using a very small and light wrinkle normal on the camera.

Lance.

thezone - thezone.firewave.com.au

Post a reply to this message

>  I will soon start to make artistic scenes, possibly abstract ones, but
>I'll try to put the abstraction inside a concrete environment or
>container.  An example of what I would do might be like a julia fractal
>object in a glass box in a museum.  Anyway...
>
>  What I wanted to ask is that I got bored of the look of 3D pictures
>(mine and others') in general.  They all feel the same; either
>cartoonish or photo-realistic.  I certainly don't mean any harm to the
>3D programming community as I still like to see those images.
>
>  I'm looking for a way, using povray of course, to distort the images
>in a way that they would look far from what we usually see on this
>newsgroups, on the competitions or on TV.
>
>  What I mean, again (cuz I know I express myself in strange ways!) is
>to represent the same old reflective sphere on a checkered plane, with
>the exact basic concept (nothing fancy like our newbies can come with),
>but to apply a transformation to the resulting image (like some sort of
>post-process) so the image looks different than the original, still we
>should be able to understand the scene, feel the 3D.
>
>  In other words, I'm looking for a series of functions or modifiers
>that would work pretty much like a post-process.  Such as:
>  rendering a colored scene in black&white
>  having distoritions inside the camera such as a bump to appear as a
>lens of some sort
>  to trace the scene and render it as a regroupment of colored spheres
>(this is too genuine pov still)
>
>  Eventually, I would like to find some settings I like and declare them
>as my personnal signature (no copyright involved, just artistic motion).
>
>  I'm already thinking on rendering my image in different ways and then
>read them again, to render the final image based on some analysis of the
>previous renders.  But before I go into such a work, i was wondering if
>there where some camera modifiers you know could make results look like
>post-process?  As I am extremely visual, a description, an example
>(image) or a given code that I can render myself would be very much
>appreciated!

Have you seen the contrast trick in the supplied advanced\bwstripe.pov?
Try using this trick on a more conventional POV scene, and changing the
colour, transmit, filter and ambient values.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure

Post a reply to this message

> Have you seen the contrast trick in the supplied
> advanced\bwstripe.pov? Try using this trick on a more conventional
> POV scene, and changing the colour, transmit, filter and ambient
> values.

In POV-Ray 3.6 the antialiasing works horribly with that filter though due
to the antialiasing prior to clipping. In POV-Ray 3.5 it renders very
smoothly.

Rune
rune|vision:  http://runevision.com

>Look up the camera definition in the help file - there are different projection
>types (like fisheye) as well as the ability to apply normals to the camera lens
>(as in the above example).  I'm sure there are endless possibilities for what
>you can create using these :)  For example, you could give an image an oil dab
>painting look by using a very small and light wrinkle normal on the camera.

Hey thanks Lance!

I'll certainly have a look into this as it is partly what I was looking
for, and to precise my query, I think some other functions dealing with
coloration (or discoloration) would be what I'm looking for.

Thanks again!
  Simon