POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Giram and the POV-Ray license Server Time
1 Aug 2024 18:28:54 EDT (-0400)
  Giram and the POV-Ray license (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Warp
Subject: Giram and the POV-Ray license
Date: 2 May 2005 14:24:23
Message: <42767057@news.povray.org>
Some days ago I noticed that the homepage of the Giram software
(http://www.giram.org/) had a rather odd notification. This notification
has now changed (to some kind of public vendetta against me), but
it originally said, among other things:

"So GiRaM won't support pov files anymore until Povray become fully
GPLed. Their current license doesn't even allow me to read their
source to understand how to parse a pov file"

  I approached the author unofficially by email to clear this matter
(I honestly thought there was just some kind of misunderstanding).
The discussion that ensued was completely out of proportion, partly
due to the GPL advocacy of the Giram author and his unwillingness to
retract his claims about the POV-Ray license.

  Since the author is completely unwilling to stop his public loathing
of the POV-Ray license, the pov-team and myself, I made a page explaining
the details of our email exchanges (concentrating on the relevant facts).
It is rather long:

http://www.cs.tut.fi/~warp/giramvspovray.html

  Chris Cason has this to say:

"You may like to add that this sort of behaviour from GPL fanatics is what
turns me (and possibly other POV authors) against the GPL. Because that is
certainly true. And you can quote me on that."

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message