POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Giram and the POV-Ray license : Re: Giram and the POV-Ray license Server Time
1 Aug 2024 20:08:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Giram and the POV-Ray license
From: Warp
Date: 3 May 2005 09:21:59
Message: <42777af7@news.povray.org>
Derrick J Houy <djh### [at] pawzaorg> wrote:
> Which brings me to my next point. If the author of Giram expended as
> much energy into his software as it has taken to fuel this little
> rampage, he could easy have written the basics for a Povray SDL
> parser--or found someone else who would be willing to contribute toward it.

  I can fully understand his decision of not supporting pov-file importing
because it truely is a quite big job to create a fully-functional SDL
parser from the scratch, and I also fully understand that he thinks the
current licensing of povray is stupid because he can't take the parser from
povray directly, easing his work.
  He is, naturally, entitled to his opinions on the povray license and
I don't have any problems with those. If he thinks that the license sucks,
well, he has the right to think so.
  What I did not like, however, was that he publicly spread lies about
the povray license. These were not just opinions, but he seriously
claimed things about the povray license which are absolutely not true,
and such false information can be damaging to the reputation of povray.

--
                                                          - Warp