POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Giram and the POV-Ray license : Re: Giram and the POV-Ray license Server Time
1 Aug 2024 20:07:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Giram and the POV-Ray license
From: Derrick J Houy
Date: 3 May 2005 08:02:33
Message: <42776859@news.povray.org>
Jeff Houck wrote:
> "So GiRaM won't support pov files anymore until Povray become a fully
> free software."
>
> No great loss in my book. Giram has gone nowhere for a very long time
> and it wasn't that useful or impressive to begin with IMO.

I would like to add my two cents worth.

1) I never like to put down any hard work that someone has put into a
program for the benefit of others, but I would be lying if I said that
my opinion of Giram does not match the one above. The quality of the
program in no way puts the author in a position to jab at the quality of
a project such as Povray. It sadens me to see human nature in this form.

2) I am the author and maintainer of several GPL licensed projects, and
am an advocate for the GPL, yet I have no problem with the way that
Povray is currently licensed. I would like to see Povray released under
an OSI license, but all in due course--let's face it, these things take
time; time which should be spent wisely.
Which brings me to my next point. If the author of Giram expended as
much energy into his software as it has taken to fuel this little
rampage, he could easy have written the basics for a Povray SDL
parser--or found someone else who would be willing to contribute toward it.

I say again that this sadens me, especially with the damage this sort of
nonsense can cause to Povray, the GPL and the community as a whole.

Freedom of speach. Yes, all good and well. Freedom to bring down the
human race. Shouldn't be allowed--but then again, shouldn't happen in
the first place.