POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : message streams Server Time
2 Aug 2024 06:20:01 EDT (-0400)
  message streams (Message 7 to 16 of 16)
From: Mike Raiford
Subject: Re: message streams
Date: 2 Feb 2005 12:37:29
Message: <42010fd9$1@news.povray.org>

<http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Cocoa/Reference/Foundation/Java/Classes/NSScriptCommand.html>

> to communicate with other Mac applications.

Pardon my ignorance...

Is that system of controlling other processes similar to Windows'
CreateProcess function?

--
~Mike

Post a reply to this message

From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 2 Feb 2005 13:06:06
Message: <4201168e@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> if you want something
> similar to Windows.  (With "AppleScript" being closer to "Windows
> Scripting Host", if you really want to push analogies.)

Yes, I believe that is as close as it gets...

> Basically, it's different. :-)

...but that is much closer! ;-)

	Thorsten

Post a reply to this message

From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 2 Feb 2005 13:15:52
Message: <420118d8$1@news.povray.org>
Sascha Ledinsky wrote:
> Now honestly - I can't test it on a Mac because I don't have one, so I
> could use some help. Would creating an ini file work?

OK, a serious answer: No, as you just cannot communicate from Java with the
Mac version efficiently.  I would suggest to find a link to a Mac
command-line build, put that on your website (or have a special Mac
download) and connect to that with the standard Java means.  After rendering
is done, you probably want users to view the rendered image in your
application anyway.

	Thorsten

PS: While it has low priority, I am well aware that there are uses for the
"common" command-line control mechanism POV-Ray offers and if time should
ever permit to complete the high-priority features for the Mac version, a
small frontend that translates command-line control attempts to AppleEvents
interacting with the GUI version is not out of the question.  But don't
count on me ever having time to implement that ;-)

Post a reply to this message