POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Modelling/rendering humans Server Time
2 Aug 2024 14:19:16 EDT (-0400)
  Modelling/rendering humans (Message 10 to 19 of 19)
From: Stephen McAvoy
Subject: Re: Modelling/rendering humans
Date: 16 Nov 2004 06:11:43
Message: <m3ojp09njn61ksnstc1tvf083da2jpgv3q@4ax.com>
On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 19:55:42 -0600, "GreyBeard"
<r.b### [at] sbcglobalnet> wrote:

>TenTen requires P5 Judy or Victoria 2(I think, could work with 3)  Cancan
>and Ranran can work with the Preteen Victoria, or the P4 Posette.  An-An for
>Judy, and I think there's a version for VIctoria, beautiful model.  All
>requre another figure to work with.  Might try Studio Maya, Mayadol and
>variations, standalone figures.  Yamato's figures, where your link points,
>are far the more beautiful, but not the only ones.

I can't remember if you need the OBJ file I think you do. If that is
the case then It might be possible to get a loan of one somewhere, for
evaluation purposes.

Regards
        Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Greybeard
Date: 16 Nov 2004 09:46:05
Message: <419a12ad@news.povray.org>
Stephen McAvoy wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 19:55:42 -0600, "GreyBeard"
> <r.b### [at] sbcglobalnet> wrote:
>

>>TenTen requires P5 Judy or Victoria 2(I think, could work with 3)  Cancan
>>and Ranran can work with the Preteen Victoria, or the P4 Posette.  An-An for
>>Judy, and I think there's a version for VIctoria, beautiful model.  All
>>requre another figure to work with.  Might try Studio Maya, Mayadol and
>>variations, standalone figures.  Yamato's figures, where your link points,
>>are far the more beautiful, but not the only ones.
>>

> I can't remember if you need the OBJ file I think you do. If that is
> the case then It might be possible to get a loan of one somewhere, for
> evaluation purposes.

Mayadoll has her own, not sure how to describe the others, probably as
morph targets, where the base mesh is modified into a different
character.  Google Studio Maya should get you there.  Hair that renders
nicely in POV is also available there.  If you can't find it, I can post
a link, but I don't go there often.  There are many variations on
Mayadoll available, all asian and all free.  Lots of links there, also
clothing, in limited numbers.

For ShiJie, DAZ|Studio does not require or recognize an accelerator, nor
does Poser.  Studio seems more stable, but neither of them render fast.

PoseRay does convert them nicely, but you'll have to do some playing
with transparency levels on the eye textures.  Not sure, but it's almost
like the textures are behind the outer layer, which in poser renders as
transparent, but reflective to give the look of moist eyes.

There are a lot of problems with all of the 3D humanoids, joints don't
move as they should, and postwork is the order of the day if they are
bent very far.  The DAZ figures have dials to correct for this, but
working with humans is more frustrating than any machine I've done in
POV SDL.

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen McAvoy
Date: 16 Nov 2004 10:23:29
Message: <kr6kp0peff75sqsgtjhsr13h7d24gfl0mr@4ax.com>
On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 08:46:06 -0600, Greybeard <hid### [at] hiddednet>
wrote:

>Mayadoll has her own, not sure how to describe the others, probably as
>morph targets, where the base mesh is modified into a different
>character.  Google Studio Maya should get you there.  Hair that renders
>nicely in POV is also available there.  If you can't find it, I can post
>a link, but I don't go there often.  There are many variations on
>Mayadoll available, all asian and all free.  Lots of links there, also
>clothing, in limited numbers.

Thanks

Regards
        Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Greybeard
Date: 16 Nov 2004 10:32:37
Message: <419a1d95@news.povray.org>
Stephen McAvoy wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 08:46:06 -0600, Greybeard <hid### [at] hiddednet>
> wrote:
>

> Thanks
>
> Regards
>         Stephen

Link:

http://www.3digitalcrafts.net/studiomaya/

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen McAvoy
Date: 16 Nov 2004 12:01:07
Message: <mickp0tl8f0u0losngmnkbtaav2k60vke1@4ax.com>
On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 09:32:38 -0600, Greybeard <hid### [at] hiddednet>
wrote:

>Link:
>
>http://www.3digitalcrafts.net/studiomaya/

Thanks again, I found it and downloaded some things. I will experiment
with them soon. At the moment I am working on a decanter with photons
but have a poser project in mind.
It is a pity that this thread was not started in p.t.poser as it has
some interesting info for Poser users.

Regards
        Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: FlyerX
Date: 16 Nov 2004 19:25:10
Message: <419a9a66$1@news.povray.org>
ShiJie wrote:
>>You can try DAZ Studio (it is free) to set up the character and some of
>>the free models at DAZ or Renderosity. DAZ Studio reads Poser files. To
>>render it in POV-Ray you can use PoseRay.
>>
>>DAZ: www.daz3d.com
>>Renderosity: www.renderosity.com
>>PoseRay: user.txcyber.com/~sgalls/
>>
>>There are a few other sites with free models for Poser that work in DAZ
>>studio also. Renderosity is a good staring point.
>>
>>There are many models that require a base mesh to work but there are a
>>several that are complete and free.
>>
>>good luck,
>>
>>FlyerX
>

> I might be interested in it for my future art. But does anyone here know if
> the beta needs a 3D accelerator? I don't have one (and I don't think I'll
> plan to have one until probably when I really want to animate something)
> and I've been working with PovRay fine without one... but when I tried
> installing the DAZ Studio it seems to have conflict with my graphic card
> driver (a cheap onboard Prosavage 3 card) so I was thinking that this could
> be maybe because the Studio requires me a 3D accelerator. Does anyone know?
>
> Sincerely,
> Jose Capco

DAZ Studio needs OpenGL and it is optimized for NVIDIA cards. See the
requirements at the bottom of this page

http://www.daz3d.com/studio/

So you may get it to work if at least you have the latest drivers for
your on-board video and that they support OpenGL properly.

Good luck,

FlyerX

Post a reply to this message

From: vincent simar
Date: 17 Nov 2004 07:00:00
Message: <web.419b3ceecb1db2a12f756b7c0@news.povray.org>
"Slime" <fak### [at] emailaddress> wrote:

> Is Poser my only realistic choice? I'm hoping for something free,
> and my modelling skills aren't that great so making it myself is probably
> out of the question.

There is also this Plugin for Blender:

MakeHuman 2.0, a free Blender plugin to quick and easy modeling of humanoid
3d models.

It is still in pre-alpha, but the screenshots looks interestings.

http://www.dedalo-3d.com/index.php?filename=SXCOL/makehuman/news/mh20prealpha.html

Vincent

Post a reply to this message

From: DocJunioR
Date: 19 Nov 2004 06:35:01
Message: <web.419dd9a5cb1db2a16cebd8020@news.povray.org>
"vincent simar" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> > Anton Matkovic has beautiful girl models in Hamapatch and SPatch (Both of
> > which are free path modeller). I don't have the website now but it's easily
> > googlable.
>
> Here is the link:
>
> http://matkovic.com/anto/
>
> > If you can't find the models in Matkovic's site (I think he
> > removed it but I am not sure) I can also send you the patches of them.
>
> I think you are right. After a quick search, I can' t find any models to
> download.
>
> Vincent

Nice thing. Has anybody ever seen a link to a tutorial on creating human
faces in HAMA- or sPatch ?

Post a reply to this message

From: Lance Birch
Date: 19 Nov 2004 10:02:54
Message: <419e0b1e$1@news.povray.org>
"DocJunioR" <doc### [at] webde> wrote in message
> "vincent simar" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> > > Anton Matkovic has beautiful girl models in Hamapatch and SPatch (Both
of
> > > which are free path modeller). I don't have the website now but it's
easily
> > > googlable.
> >
> > Here is the link:
> >
> > http://matkovic.com/anto/
> >
> > > If you can't find the models in Matkovic's site (I think he
> > > removed it but I am not sure) I can also send you the patches of them.
> >
> > I think you are right. After a quick search, I can' t find any models to
> > download.
> >
> > Vincent
>
> Nice thing. Has anybody ever seen a link to a tutorial on creating human
> faces in HAMA- or sPatch ?

Anto Matkovic created a tutorial about 6 or 7 years ago about modelling
human faces/heads in sPatch, and different approaches that can be used
(starting from the eyes/mouth/ears, how to do eyes, etc).  Even all those
years ago I was able to come up with reasonable models using that method
(now that I'm older I'm sure I could do a vastly better job).

Unfortunately, that site is long gone, although he does have a new website
at www.matkovic.com (and some of the images on there I remember from his old
site).  My advice would be to contact him and see if he has the file
headmod.zip (which contained the tutorial HTML files and images) on his
harddrive somewhere.  I found his old site in the Internet Archive
WayBackMachine but as the tutorial was provided in a zip the file it's not
available through the archive (the archive only contains HTML/images/etc)...
but if you want, go to www.archive.org and enter the following address into
the WayBackMachine for the sake of sentimentalism:

http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Studios/7415/

I just found one of the old models on a CD which I'd made at that time using
a method described by Anto in his tutorial.  It's pretty bad but I guess OK
for a 14 year old, heh.

Lance.

thezone - thezone.firewave.com.au
thehandle - www.thehandle.com

Post a reply to this message

From: Lance Birch
Date: 19 Nov 2004 10:23:26
Message: <419e0fee$1@news.povray.org>
"Lance Birch" <-> wrote in message news:419e0b1e$1@news.povray.org...
> "DocJunioR" <doc### [at] webde> wrote in message
> of
> easily
> > >
> > > Here is the link:
> > >
> > > http://matkovic.com/anto/

> > > I think you are right. After a quick search, I can' t find any models
> > > download.
> > >
> > > Vincent
> >
> > Nice thing. Has anybody ever seen a link to a tutorial on creating human
> > faces in HAMA- or sPatch ?
>
> Anto Matkovic created a tutorial about 6 or 7 years ago about modelling
> human faces/heads in sPatch, and different approaches that can be used
> (starting from the eyes/mouth/ears, how to do eyes, etc).  Even all those
> years ago I was able to come up with reasonable models using that method
> (now that I'm older I'm sure I could do a vastly better job).
>
> Unfortunately, that site is long gone, although he does have a new website
> at www.matkovic.com (and some of the images on there I remember from his
old
> site).  My advice would be to contact him and see if he has the file
> headmod.zip (which contained the tutorial HTML files and images) on his
> harddrive somewhere.  I found his old site in the Internet Archive
> WayBackMachine but as the tutorial was provided in a zip the file it's not
> available through the archive (the archive only contains
HTML/images/etc)...
> but if you want, go to www.archive.org and enter the following address
into
> the WayBackMachine for the sake of sentimentalism:
>
> http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Studios/7415/
>
> I just found one of the old models on a CD which I'd made at that time
using
> a method described by Anto in his tutorial.  It's pretty bad but I guess
OK
> for a 14 year old, heh.

As it turns out, I should have read the rest of the thread: everyone else is
already talking about Anto's sPatch models!  Anyway, I hope the info in my
post provides a little bit more info regarding his tutorials.

I decided to chuck the model I made back then into a file and render it
again for laughs.  I've posted it in povray.binaries.images under the title
"Old sPatch head model - Re: Modelling/rendering humans"

Ah, those were the days.