POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : max trace depth Server Time
2 Aug 2024 12:17:40 EDT (-0400)
  max trace depth (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: scott
Subject: max trace depth
Date: 4 Nov 2004 04:48:00
Message: <4189fad0@news.povray.org>
I have a fairly simple scene, which renders fine with max trace depth set as
the default.  However, I have a small object that won't render correctly
unless max trace depth is at least 7 (it has several transparent parts to
it).  Is there any way I can tell POV to use a higher max trace depth for
this object but not for anything else?  It's takes forever to render at mtd
7 because a lot of things have a bit of reflection.

cheers

Scott

Post a reply to this message

> I have a fairly simple scene, which renders fine with max trace depth set
as
> the default.  However, I have a small object that won't render correctly
> unless max trace depth is at least 7 (it has several transparent parts to

Look up adc_bailout in the manual. The bottom line is that - hopefully - a
high max trace will only affect those objects where it's needed. Adc_bailout
basically sets a level at which max trace gives up due to there being no
significant change to the scene from the last reflected ray's contribution.

You can modify the adc_bailout value in global settings if you want to get
really brutal...

Post a reply to this message

> "scott" <sco### [at] spamcom> wrote in message
>> I have a fairly simple scene, which renders fine with max trace
>> depth set as the default.  However, I have a small object that won't
>> render correctly unless max trace depth is at least 7 (it has
>> several transparent parts to
>
> Look up adc_bailout in the manual. The bottom line is that -
> hopefully - a high max trace will only affect those objects where
> it's needed. Adc_bailout basically sets a level at which max trace
> gives up due to there being no significant change to the scene from
> the last reflected ray's contribution.
>
> You can modify the adc_bailout value in global settings if you want
> to get really brutal...

OK, looks like I need to increase adc_bailout, maybe to 2/256 or 4/256,
shouldn't be *that* visible and hopefully will speed up rendering with high
max_trace levels.