POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Spline vectors Server Time
2 Aug 2024 14:18:07 EDT (-0400)
  Spline vectors (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: Skip Talbot
Subject: Spline vectors
Date: 14 Oct 2004 18:19:34
Message: <416efb76$1@news.povray.org>
Is there a built in function that I'm overlooking that would allow me to
compute a normal and tangent vector to a given point on a spline?  I saw
that Chris Colefax's spline macro can do this but is there something I can
use with POV's built in splines?  I'm looking at approximating the vectors
by using adjacent points, but I was hoping there might be something a little
more accurate.

Skip

Post a reply to this message

> Is there a built in function that I'm overlooking that would allow me to
> compute a normal and tangent vector to a given point on a spline?  I saw
> that Chris Colefax's spline macro can do this but is there something I can
> use with POV's built in splines?  I'm looking at approximating the vectors
> by using adjacent points, but I was hoping there might be something a little
> more accurate.
>
> Skip

You could work out the polynomials that controls the
spline and then differentiate those.

Or you could use numerical methods to calculate the
tangent-, normal- and binormal-vectors.

Some keywords for Google:

"Frenet frame"
"TNB frame"

"Tangent vector"
"Normal vector"
"Binormal vector"

"Numerical differentiaton"
"Vector valued function"

While working on the tools for my POVCOMP image I made
macros that will produce a set of frenet frame functions
for my NURBS functions (and other functions).

--
Tor Olav
http://subcube.net

Post a reply to this message