POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POVRAY.ORG's 10th anniversary Server Time
2 Aug 2024 16:23:45 EDT (-0400)
  POVRAY.ORG's 10th anniversary (Message 1 to 10 of 12)
From: Chris Cason
Subject: POVRAY.ORG's 10th anniversary
Date: 18 Aug 2004 03:42:03
Message: <4123084b@news.povray.org>
POVRAY.ORG's 10th anniversary

It was ten years ago today - on 18 August 1994 - that the POVRAY.ORG domain
was registered. We've been on the internet continuously since then. Back in
those days it was fairly unusual for a free software project to have its own
domain and/or server and the logistics of setting one up were entirely different
than they are now.

The POV-Team would like to extend its thanks to all those who have helped to
make this happen, including Jack Velte of Walnut Creek CDROM for providing our
original hosting, Jordan Hubbard and the FreeBSD folks for early support and
the immensely stable OS we run on, Digimark for providing DNS for all this time,
and Netplex Internet for providing fast and reliable hosting for many years and
generally being darn cool folks.

-- Chris Cason

Post a reply to this message

"Chris Cason" <new### [at] deletethispovrayorg> wrote in message
> POVRAY.ORG's 10th anniversary
>
> It was ten years ago today - on 18 August 1994 - that the POVRAY.ORG
domain
> was registered. We've been on the internet continuously since then. Back
in
> those days it was fairly unusual for a free software project to have its
own
> domain and/or server and the logistics of setting one up were entirely
different
> than they are now.
>
> The POV-Team would like to extend its thanks to all those who have helped
> make this happen, including Jack Velte of Walnut Creek CDROM for providing
our
> original hosting, Jordan Hubbard and the FreeBSD folks for early support
and
> the immensely stable OS we run on, Digimark for providing DNS for all this
time,
> and Netplex Internet for providing fast and reliable hosting for many
years and
> generally being darn cool folks.

And I'd like to extend my thanks to the POV-Team!

I remember checking out www.povray.org in, I think, around 1995 - one of the
first websites I ever visited.  What a difference it's made for all of us...

Congrats, and here's to the next 10 years!

Lance.

Post a reply to this message

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 17:41:48 +1000, "Chris Cason"
<new### [at] deletethispovrayorg> wrote:
> POVRAY.ORG's 10th anniversary

Happy birthday !!!

ABX

Post a reply to this message

"Chris Cason" <new### [at] deletethispovrayorg> wrote in message
> POVRAY.ORG's 10th anniversary
>
> It was ten years ago today - on 18 August 1994 - that the POVRAY.ORG domain
> was registered. We've been on the internet continuously since then. Back in
> those days it was fairly unusual for a free software project to have its own
> domain and/or server and the logistics of setting one up were entirely different
> than they are now.
>
> The POV-Team would like to extend its thanks to all those who have helped to
> make this happen, including Jack Velte of Walnut Creek CDROM for providing our
> original hosting, Jordan Hubbard and the FreeBSD folks for early support and
> the immensely stable OS we run on, Digimark for providing DNS for all this time,
> and Netplex Internet for providing fast and reliable hosting for many years and
> generally being darn cool folks.
>
> -- Chris Cason

And I would like to extend my thanks to you, Chris. Few people know the tireless
dedication
and hard work you perform in keeping this website up and running and all the hardships
you
have suffered along the way. You have brought great joy to many people, not only in
keeping
the povray.org site up and running all this time, but also in keeping POV-Ray itself
alive. Were
it not for povray.org, POV-Ray itself would be a mere shadow of what it is today, and
we owe
that all to you.

My hat is off to you, Sir!

Ken Tyler

Post a reply to this message

> It was ten years ago today - on 18 August 1994 - that the POVRAY.ORG domain
> was registered. We've been on the internet continuously since then. Back in
> those days it was fairly unusual for a free software project to have its own
> domain and/or server and the logistics of setting one up were entirely different
> than they are now.
>
> The POV-Team would like to extend its thanks to all those who have helped to
> make this happen, including Jack Velte of Walnut Creek CDROM for providing our
> original hosting, Jordan Hubbard and the FreeBSD folks for early support and
> the immensely stable OS we run on, Digimark for providing DNS for all this time,
> and Netplex Internet for providing fast and reliable hosting for many years and
> generally being darn cool folks.
>
> -- Chris Cason

More than a few mornings I wake up wondering who you are, where you are,
and ultimately, what motivates you.  I certainly appreciate that you do
what you do.  Nice to see who some of the other prime movers are too.

Post a reply to this message

From: Severi Salminen
Date: 18 Aug 2004 14:39:46
Message: <4123a272$1@news.povray.org>
Chris Cason wrote:
> POVRAY.ORG's 10th anniversary

Congratulations to POVRAY.ORG!

So, where is the party being held and when? ;-)

Severi S.

Post a reply to this message

From: St
Date: 18 Aug 2004 14:50:28
Message: <4123a4f4$1@news.povray.org>
"Chris Cason" <new### [at] deletethispovrayorg> wrote in message
> POVRAY.ORG's 10th anniversary

  Chris, I'm sincerely glad/happy to have at least been a continuous
participant in this fantastic and almost 'unreal' renderer for the
last five years - PoV-Ray.

   I *wish* that I'd started five years earlier, but nearly all of the
advise that I've had so far from support (ng's and email) has proved
to me that this is a program that will be with me to the end, and
that's some time to come yet. I look forward to it.

 Thank you, and all that are involved.

    Best regards,

    ~Steve~

Post a reply to this message

From: Ken
Date: 18 Aug 2004 20:26:17
Message: <4123f3a9@news.povray.org>
"Severi Salminen" <sev### [at] NOT_THISsibafi> wrote in message

> So, where is the party being held and when? ;-)

http://www.povcomp.com/  :-}

Post a reply to this message

From: Tor Olav Kristensen
Date: 18 Aug 2004 21:48:25
Message: <412406e9$1@news.povray.org>
Happy anniversary and a big THANK YOU to the POV-Team !!!

Tor Olav

Post a reply to this message

From: Florian Brucker
Date: 19 Aug 2004 07:58:19
Message: <412495db@news.povray.org>
> Happy anniversary and a big THANK YOU to the POV-Team !!!

Can't to anything but second that! Thanks for all your work, POV-Team!
And a big thank you to the whole POV-community, too, for always helping,
inspiring and fascinating me!

Florian