POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Subtle change in agate btw. 3.5->3.6? Server Time
3 Aug 2024 04:18:18 EDT (-0400)
  Subtle change in agate btw. 3.5->3.6? (Message 11 to 17 of 17)
From: Patrick Elliott
Subject: Re: Subtle change in agate btw. 3.5->3.6?
Date: 23 Jun 2004 23:13:30
Message: <MPG.1b43f44e364a465989a8e@news.povray.org>
In article <cbchvs$lmo$1@chho.imagico.de>, chr### [at] gmxde says...
> Thorsten Froehlich wrote:
> >
> > No, you are wrong here:  We fixed a long-existing bug in height-field
> > smoothing that is mentioned in the release notes (iirc).  In short,
> > height-field smoothing did not work correctly before and thus now is looks
> > "different" compared to older versions of POV-Ray because those versions
> > were simply buggy.
>
> That does not sound reasonable to me, the smoothing change would only
> influence the normal vector returned by trace(), not the intersection
> point.  The difference Thorsten Crass observed is in the intersection
> points and not only in the normals.
>
> Christoph

I thought that there was a glitch which sometimes caused gaps in the
surface of some objects when smoothed. If height fields employed the same
algorithm to calculate its intersection points, then it would in effect
generate an incorrect object. Therefor it effects both normals 'and'
intersections. I could be wrong about that though. It isn't just normals
that get adjusted with smoothing, I thought.

--
void main () {

    call functional_code()
  else
    call crash_windows();
}

Post a reply to this message

>> No, you are wrong here:  We fixed a long-existing bug in height-field
>> smoothing that is mentioned in the release notes (iirc).  In short,
>> height-field smoothing did not work correctly before and thus now is looks
>> "different" compared to older versions of POV-Ray because those versions
>> were simply buggy.
>
> That does not sound reasonable to me, the smoothing change would only
> influence the normal vector returned by trace(), not the intersection
> point.  The difference Thorsten Crass observed is in the intersection
> points and not only in the normals.

I do not know for sure.  A certain variance is to be expected.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde

>>That does not sound reasonable to me, the smoothing change would only
>>influence the normal vector returned by trace(), not the intersection
>>point.  The difference Thorsten Crass observed is in the intersection
>>points and not only in the normals.
>

> I do not know for sure.  A certain variance is to be expected.

I checked and there is a difference in parstxtr.cpp,
Make_Pattern_Image(), didn't bother to look in which change it was
introduced.

Christoph

Last updated 01 May. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______

Post a reply to this message

> I checked and there is a difference in parstxtr.cpp,

What difference?