POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Subtle change in agate btw. 3.5->3.6? : Re: Subtle change in agate btw. 3.5->3.6? Server Time
3 Aug 2024 06:11:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Subtle change in agate btw. 3.5->3.6?
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 23 Jun 2004 23:13:30
Message: <MPG.1b43f44e364a465989a8e@news.povray.org>
In article <cbchvs$lmo$1@chho.imagico.de>, chr### [at] gmxde says...
> Thorsten Froehlich wrote:
> >
> > No, you are wrong here:  We fixed a long-existing bug in height-field
> > smoothing that is mentioned in the release notes (iirc).  In short,
> > height-field smoothing did not work correctly before and thus now is looks
> > "different" compared to older versions of POV-Ray because those versions
> > were simply buggy.
>
> That does not sound reasonable to me, the smoothing change would only
> influence the normal vector returned by trace(), not the intersection
> point.  The difference Thorsten Crass observed is in the intersection
> points and not only in the normals.
>
> Christoph

I thought that there was a glitch which sometimes caused gaps in the
surface of some objects when smoothed. If height fields employed the same
algorithm to calculate its intersection points, then it would in effect
generate an incorrect object. Therefor it effects both normals 'and'
intersections. I could be wrong about that though. It isn't just normals
that get adjusted with smoothing, I thought.

--
void main () {

    call functional_code()
  else