POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : 3.6 Error Saving Server Time
3 Aug 2024 02:24:05 EDT (-0400)
  3.6 Error Saving (Message 1 to 10 of 12)
From: Andy Cocker
Subject: 3.6 Error Saving
Date: 16 Jun 2004 17:45:01
Message: <web.40d0be83e025deb258e45a340@news.povray.org>
Hi all,

I'm having an intermittent problem with Windows PovRay 3.6. Occasionally,
when I stop a render during parsing, then try again to render it, Pov tells
me that it failed to save the file (sorry, don't remember the exact
wording). I then have the choice to Abort, Retry etc. I have to Save As in
order to save the file.
I never had this problem with 3.5.

Anyone else noticed this behaviour?

BTW, I have I/O restrictions turned off, and am running XP Home.

All the best,

Andy Cocker

Post a reply to this message

> I'm having an intermittent problem with Windows PovRay 3.6. Occasionally,
> when I stop a render during parsing, then try again to render it, Pov
tells
> me that it failed to save the file (sorry, don't remember the exact
> wording). I then have the choice to Abort, Retry etc. I have to Save As in
> order to save the file.
> I never had this problem with 3.5.
>
> Anyone else noticed this behaviour?
>
> BTW, I have I/O restrictions turned off, and am running XP Home.
>
> All the best,
>
> Andy Cocker

Yep... I've experienced it as well. The error was something to the effect of
the file being open by another process. Sysinternals Process Explorer showed
PVEngine as the only process that had a handle open for the scene file. I'm
betting that somewhere in the parsing code, when it's cancelled, or an error
occurs it doesn't always close the file.

Post a reply to this message

> betting that somewhere in the parsing code, when it's cancelled, or an error
> occurs it doesn't always close the file.

That bet you will loose!  It simply happens in two threads.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde

> That bet you will loose!  It simply happens in two threads.
>
>     Thorsten

More detail? Is it a thread sync issue then?

Post a reply to this message