POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Pov mesh to anything? Server Time
3 Aug 2024 04:16:28 EDT (-0400)
  Pov mesh to anything? (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: Mick Hazelgrove
Subject: Pov mesh to anything?
Date: 24 May 2004 13:16:33
Message: <40b22df1@news.povray.org>
Hi

Is there a utility that will convert a Pov mesh into a 3ds or object file or
anything else I can use to import into a mesh modeller?

Mick

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Charter
Subject: Re: Pov mesh to anything?
Date: 24 May 2004 13:54:03
Message: <40b236bb@news.povray.org>
Mick Hazelgrove wrote:

> Hi
>
> Is there a utility that will convert a Pov mesh into a 3ds or object file or
> anything else I can use to import into a mesh modeller?
>

> Mick

Not out-of-the-box but I seem to recall Mike Williams had some code that
would go a long ways in that direction?  I thought he had a sdl routine
that output mesh2 or .obj

Post a reply to this message

From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 24 May 2004 14:00:02
Message: <c8td5e$c4h$1@chho.imagico.de>
Mick Hazelgrove wrote:
> Hi
>
> Is there a utility that will convert a Pov mesh into a 3ds or object file or
> anything else I can use to import into a mesh modeller?

You probably know the FAQ answer:

http://tag.povray.org/povQandT/filesQandT.html#povtootherformatsdifficulty

Apart from that if your mesh only contains plain literal numbers and is
nicely formatted it will be quite straight away to convert it to any
other ascii format that stores plain triangle lists with regular
expression search and replace.

But this has nearly no practical use because *if* a mesh is in such a
form it is probably already generated by a program or povray macro so it
would be easy to modify that program to generate a different format as well.

Christoph

Last updated 01 May. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Charter
Date: 24 May 2004 14:06:54
Message: <40b239be@news.povray.org>
Jim Charter wrote:

> Mick Hazelgrove wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Is there a utility that will convert a Pov mesh into a 3ds or object
>> file or
>> anything else I can use to import into a mesh modeller?
>>

>> Mick
>>

> Not out-of-the-box but I seem to recall Mike Williams had some code that
> would go a long ways in that direction?  I thought he had a sdl routine
> that output mesh2 or .obj
another possibility might be Warps mesh converter.  IT reads in Mesh2
and outputs mesh   then I think crossroads can read mesh and output
commercial formats.

not sure, also ingo may have something which will parse mesh2

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 24 May 2004 14:43:00
Message: <40b24234@news.povray.org>
There are probably some programs which read meshes in POV-Ray format
and export them in other formats, but if you are unable to find one,
you can try my mesh compressor program which can read meshes and mesh2s
and output in the pcm format.
  The pcm format is very simple to read and you can make a converter to
some other format even with POV-Ray itself (as long as the target format
is in ASCII).

  The compressor supporting mesh2 is not yet officially released, but
a very stable beta version can be downloaded here:

http://www.cs.tut.fi/~warp/WinMeshcomp30_beta3.zip

From: Mick Hazelgrove
Date: 25 May 2004 02:25:57
Message: <40b2e6f5$1@news.povray.org>
Thanks Warp and everyone else.

Mick

Post a reply to this message

From: ingo
Date: 25 May 2004 06:28:39
Message: <Xns94F47EED07204seed7@news.povray.org>
in news:40b239be@news.povray.org Jim Charter wrote:

> not sure, also ingo may have something which will parse mesh2

Actually, I have a python script that does, well about 2/3 of it. The
export funtion is not finished and the whole thing is rather crude. I'll
see if I can make the basics work tonight and post it to this server.

Ingo

Post a reply to this message

From: Mick Hazelgrove
Date: 25 May 2004 11:05:38
Message: <40b360c2@news.povray.org>
Thanks Ingo

Mick

"ingo" <ing### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote in message
> in news:40b239be@news.povray.org Jim Charter wrote:
>
> > not sure, also ingo may have something which will parse mesh2
> >

> Actually, I have a python script that does, well about 2/3 of it. The
> export funtion is not finished and the whole thing is rather crude. I'll
> see if I can make the basics work tonight and post it to this server.
>
> Ingo

Post a reply to this message

From: ingo
Date: 25 May 2004 19:06:43
Message: <Xns94F5B4FCF1CAseed7@news.povray.org>
in news:40b360c2@news.povray.org Mick Hazelgrove wrote:

>> Actually, I have a python script that does, well about 2/3 of it.

posted mesh22obj to:

Newsgroups: povray.binaries.utilities
Subject: mesh to obj converter
From: ingo <ing### [at] tagpovrayorg>
Date: 25 May 2004 19:01:44 -0400

You may have some problems with the normals because of the way your mesh2-
file is build. Assuming that good modellers can fix this, I added an
option  to ignore normals and uv-data. So only the vertices and faces are
used.

Ingo