POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : The next competition : Supershapes Server Time
3 Aug 2024 06:11:23 EDT (-0400)
  The next competition : Supershapes (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: Paul Bourke
Subject: The next competition : Supershapes
Date: 9 May 2004 02:36:14
Message: <pdb_NOSPAM-372277.16361109052004@news.povray.org>
Time to blow the dust from those old pixels and wake up some of those
idle electrons....the next POVRay competition is now open, see
   http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/povss/

Thanks to all the suggestions since the last fractal contest. Over all
there were about 10 distinct ideas for new competitions. In choosing a
new theme I rated the choices on a new "principles" (no particular order)
1. Maximise the appeal to as wide as possible group within the POVRay community.
2. Maximise the appeal of the results to the wider non-POVRay audience.
3. Maximise the opportunity to show off POVRay and raytracing in general.
4. Avoid options that would significantly disadvantage anyone without
   a high end computer.
5. Avoid choices that, for various reasons, would be hard to manage as a
   competition.
Last but not least, I need to have some personal interest/motivation. :-)

My preferred options for future competitions boiled down to the following
1. Limited geometry, eg: use no more than 10 primitives from sphere, box, ....
2. Scene based on a single versatile primitive.
3. Render showing of optics.....details to be decided.

So, I've chosen (2) this time around because it interests me and the
supershape is somewhat topical with Genicap offering plugs for Illustrator
   http://www.genicap.com/tech_super.html
(2d only) and further tools in the pipeline for 3D packages.
   http://www.genicap.com/gallery/3d_illustration.html

Happy rendering.
--
Paul Bourke
pdb_NOSPAMswin.edu.au

Post a reply to this message

> Time to blow the dust from those old pixels and wake up some of those
> idle electrons....the next POVRay competition is now open, see
>    http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/povss/
>
> Thanks to all the suggestions since the last fractal contest. Over all
> there were about 10 distinct ideas for new competitions. In choosing a
> new theme I rated the choices on a new "principles" (no particular order)
> 1. Maximise the appeal to as wide as possible group within the POVRay community.
> 2. Maximise the appeal of the results to the wider non-POVRay audience.
> 3. Maximise the opportunity to show off POVRay and raytracing in general.
> 4. Avoid options that would significantly disadvantage anyone without
>    a high end computer.
> 5. Avoid choices that, for various reasons, would be hard to manage as a
>    competition.
> Last but not least, I need to have some personal interest/motivation. :-)
>
> My preferred options for future competitions boiled down to the following
> 1. Limited geometry, eg: use no more than 10 primitives from sphere, box, ....
> 2. Scene based on a single versatile primitive.
> 3. Render showing of optics.....details to be decided.
>
> So, I've chosen (2) this time around because it interests me and the
> supershape is somewhat topical with Genicap offering plugs for Illustrator
>    http://www.genicap.com/tech_super.html
> (2d only) and further tools in the pipeline for 3D packages.
>    http://www.genicap.com/gallery/3d_illustration.html
>
> Happy rendering.

which povray version are we using please ?

param.inc don't seem to exist on my box, povray-3.5c, debian/libranet
somewhere near unstable

stephen

Post a reply to this message

>> Time to blow the dust from those old pixels and wake up some of those
>> idle electrons....the next POVRay competition is now open, see
>>    http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/povss/
>>
>> Thanks to all the suggestions since the last fractal contest. Over all
>> there were about 10 distinct ideas for new competitions. In choosing a
>> new theme I rated the choices on a new "principles" (no particular order)
>> 1. Maximise the appeal to as wide as possible group within the POVRay
>> community.
>> 2. Maximise the appeal of the results to the wider non-POVRay audience.
>> 3. Maximise the opportunity to show off POVRay and raytracing in
>> general. 4. Avoid options that would significantly disadvantage anyone
>> without
>>    a high end computer.
>> 5. Avoid choices that, for various reasons, would be hard to manage as
>> a    competition.
>> Last but not least, I need to have some personal interest/motivation. :-)
>>
>> My preferred options for future competitions boiled down to the following
>> 1. Limited geometry, eg: use no more than 10 primitives from sphere,
>> box, ....
>> 2. Scene based on a single versatile primitive.
>> 3. Render showing of optics.....details to be decided.
>>
>> So, I've chosen (2) this time around because it interests me and the
>> supershape is somewhat topical with Genicap offering plugs for
>> Illustrator
>>    http://www.genicap.com/tech_super.html
>> (2d only) and further tools in the pipeline for 3D packages.
>>    http://www.genicap.com/gallery/3d_illustration.html
>>
>> Happy rendering.
>

> which povray version are we using please ?
>
> param.inc don't seem to exist on my box, povray-3.5c, debian/libranet
> somewhere near unstable
>
> stephen

ignore me, NEXT time reading the flaming instructions or somesuch phrase

stephen

currently battling include paths in pov-mode.el and byte-compiling :-)

Post a reply to this message

>>> Time to blow the dust from those old pixels and wake up some of those
>>> idle electrons....the next POVRay competition is now open, see
>>>    http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/povss/
>>>
>>> Thanks to all the suggestions since the last fractal contest. Over all
>>> there were about 10 distinct ideas for new competitions. In choosing a
>>> new theme I rated the choices on a new "principles" (no particular
>>> order)
>>> 1. Maximise the appeal to as wide as possible group within the POVRay
>>> community.
>>> 2. Maximise the appeal of the results to the wider non-POVRay audience.
>>> 3. Maximise the opportunity to show off POVRay and raytracing in
>>> general. 4. Avoid options that would significantly disadvantage
>>> anyone without
>>>    a high end computer.
>>> 5. Avoid choices that, for various reasons, would be hard to manage
>>> as a    competition.
>>> Last but not least, I need to have some personal interest/motivation.
>>> :-)
>>>
>>> My preferred options for future competitions boiled down to the
>>> following
>>> 1. Limited geometry, eg: use no more than 10 primitives from sphere,
>>> box, ....
>>> 2. Scene based on a single versatile primitive.
>>> 3. Render showing of optics.....details to be decided.
>>>
>>> So, I've chosen (2) this time around because it interests me and the
>>> supershape is somewhat topical with Genicap offering plugs for
>>> Illustrator
>>>    http://www.genicap.com/tech_super.html
>>> (2d only) and further tools in the pipeline for 3D packages.
>>>    http://www.genicap.com/gallery/3d_illustration.html
>>>
>>> Happy rendering.
>>

>> which povray version are we using please ?
>>
>> param.inc don't seem to exist on my box, povray-3.5c, debian/libranet
>> somewhere near unstable
>>
>> stephen
>

> ignore me, NEXT time reading the flaming instructions or somesuch phrase
>
> stephen
>
> currently battling include paths in pov-mode.el and byte-compiling :-)

you don't happen to know how to add a user path to the include list in
pov-mode ??

stephen

Post a reply to this message