POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : The next competition : Supershapes : Re: The next competition : Supershapes Server Time
3 Aug 2024 04:18:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The next competition : Supershapes
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 9 May 2004 12:24:16
Message: <cjameshuff-B68754.11241809052004@news.povray.org>
In article <pdb_NOSPAM-372277.16361109052004@news.povray.org>,
 Paul Bourke <pdb### [at] swineduau> wrote:

> Time to blow the dust from those old pixels and wake up some of those
> idle electrons....the next POVRay competition is now open, see
>    http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/povss/

What's a supershape? The first thing I thought of was the superellipsoid
primitive, but that's the only supershape supported directly by POV.
There's also macros for a supertorus and what's called a supercone,
though I think it actually belongs to a different class of objects. The
pictures on that page seem to be of objects created with various polar
or spherical equations. Is this just a competition with shapes based on
spheres and circles? Is there a particular equation to use? How should
these shapes be generated? I wouldn't restrict it to the parametric
primitive...meshes? Isosurfaces? Arrangements of other primitives in
these shapes?

This sounds like something I read a while ago about some guy who had
patented a "superequation" that could produce a wide variety of shapes.
It was really trivial, hugely overblown (described as some tremendous
breakthrough, despite the fact that similar equations have been used for
centuries), and tremendously stupid that the guy got a patent on it.
(Why didn't he patent the sine wave while he was at it?)
This MathWorld article has some information on this shape:
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Superellipse.html
Looks like this is the same guy, Johan Gielis...and the prize is his
book. Why give this nut any more support?

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: <chr### [at] tagpovrayorg>
http://tag.povray.org/