POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : The next competition : Supershapes : The next competition : Supershapes Server Time
3 Aug 2024 04:14:43 EDT (-0400)
  The next competition : Supershapes
From: Paul Bourke
Date: 9 May 2004 02:36:14
Message: <pdb_NOSPAM-372277.16361109052004@news.povray.org>
Time to blow the dust from those old pixels and wake up some of those
idle electrons....the next POVRay competition is now open, see
   http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/povss/

Thanks to all the suggestions since the last fractal contest. Over all
there were about 10 distinct ideas for new competitions. In choosing a
new theme I rated the choices on a new "principles" (no particular order)
1. Maximise the appeal to as wide as possible group within the POVRay community.
2. Maximise the appeal of the results to the wider non-POVRay audience.
3. Maximise the opportunity to show off POVRay and raytracing in general.
4. Avoid options that would significantly disadvantage anyone without
   a high end computer.
5. Avoid choices that, for various reasons, would be hard to manage as a
   competition.
Last but not least, I need to have some personal interest/motivation. :-)

My preferred options for future competitions boiled down to the following
1. Limited geometry, eg: use no more than 10 primitives from sphere, box, ....
2. Scene based on a single versatile primitive.
3. Render showing of optics.....details to be decided.

So, I've chosen (2) this time around because it interests me and the
supershape is somewhat topical with Genicap offering plugs for Illustrator
   http://www.genicap.com/tech_super.html
(2d only) and further tools in the pipeline for 3D packages.
   http://www.genicap.com/gallery/3d_illustration.html

Happy rendering.
--
Paul Bourke