POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Another competition? Server Time
3 Aug 2024 08:09:25 EDT (-0400)
  Another competition? (Message 1 to 10 of 29)
From: Paul Bourke
Subject: Another competition?
Date: 1 May 2004 01:55:47
Message: <pdb_NOSPAM-E7E7D5.15554501052004@news.povray.org>
I've run the short code and the fractal competitions, see
   http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/~pbourke/povray/scc3/final/
   http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/~pbourke/povray/povfrac/final/

Are you sick of these competitions or is there still interest?

If the later then how about another in the near future, what about these options?
1. Limited geometry. eg: Create a scene with no more than 10 objects from
   the following list: sphere, cylinder, cone, box.
2. Special geometry. eg: Create a scene using only one high level primitive,
   but as many of them as you like, for example: a supershape.
3. Create a 3D scene which when rendered from a particular position forms an
   image that tiles the plane.

Feel free to suggest others.
--
Paul Bourke
pdb_NOSPAMswin.edu.au

Post a reply to this message

The third suggestion sounds interesting.

-Chris

Post a reply to this message

> Are you sick of these competitions or is there still interest?

I think they are a great idea!

> If the later then how about another in the near future, what about these options?
> 1. Limited geometry. eg: Create a scene with no more than 10 objects from
>    the following list: sphere, cylinder, cone, box.

Like it.  Texturing/lighting could make all the difference.  The sharp
edges might be a limiting factor.

> 2. Special geometry. eg: Create a scene using only one high level primitive,
>    but as many of them as you like, for example: a supershape.

Not sure what high level primitive means.

> 3. Create a 3D scene which when rendered from a particular position forms an
>    image that tiles the plane.

Whoa!  Sounds tough.  But radical.

> Feel free to suggest others.

The common element between contests is that they are relatively short,
simple, around a single limiting idea, that has more to do with process
than subject?

Post a reply to this message