POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Another competition? : Re: Another competition? Server Time
3 Aug 2024 06:11:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another competition?
From: Rafal 'Raf256' Maj
Date: 1 May 2004 11:48:50
Message: <Xns94DCB4F5F4D3Braf256com@203.29.75.35>
cja### [at] earthlinknet
news:cjameshuff-B1489A.11383901052004@news.povray.org

> Volumetrics. No directly visible objects, the entire scene must be
> composed of shapes only visible through interior attenuation or media.
> Maybe refraction, as well...it'd allow some good photon scenes. And
> maybe some severely restricted visible objects, such as a ground plane
> or finite sky_sphere.

This is interesting. I once done a animation (my first real pov-job)
"matrix" that worked that way. It was suprisingly fast rendering as for
media based scene.

But, I thing that to make something realy interesting users have to have
quite strong computers, and it might be a problem to some users.
On the other hand, it would motivate more usesrs to learn madia, with are
realy very powerfull but meany users dont use them (media can seem quite
hard to learn at first). So, maybe for even next competition?

> Environment. Basically, come up with some good surroundings that'd
> make a good HDRI map. The focus of the scene would be a collection of
> objects showing the environment off through reflection and radiosity,
> and should probably be standardized to compare the environments more
> effectively.

IMHo this idea is *BEST*
- make that way environemts would be very usable (especialy if someone will
make a .hdr output format support, or is it already supported?)
- pov made images could be usefull by other (non-pov) artists, it could be
a good way to promote PovRAY
- no special limitations = meany users will participate
- a good field to create photorealistics images (but not limited to them)

I say it rocks, lets do it Paul :)

Btw - maybe give much longer times? I.e. contest will start in about 1
week, and we woud have a full month to create images. That should allow to
create realy quality images.

--
http://www.raf256.com/3d/
Rafal Maj 'Raf256', home page - http://www.raf256.com/me/