POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Another competition? : Re: Another competition? Server Time
3 Aug 2024 06:14:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another competition?
From: povray
Date: 1 May 2004 17:01:12
Message: <4094076e.16239288@localhost>
On Sat, 01 May 2004 15:55:45 +1000, Paul Bourke
<pdb### [at] swineduau> wrote:

>I've run the short code and the fractal competitions, see
>   http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/~pbourke/povray/scc3/final/
>   http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/~pbourke/povray/povfrac/final/
>
>Are you sick of these competitions or is there still interest?

Those were fun.  :D  I'de like more ... but I don't want
you getting burned out by running them!

>If the later then how about another in the near future, what about these options?
>1. Limited geometry. eg: Create a scene with no more than 10 objects from
>   the following list: sphere, cylinder, cone, box.

interesting.

>2. Special geometry. eg: Create a scene using only one high level primitive,
>   but as many of them as you like, for example: a supershape.

yeah, that could work (goes to read what a "supershape" is in
the docs)

 1) Hmm: how about just isosurfaces?  I'de have to skip that
    one for CPU reasons.
 2) just prism objects.  That I could do  :)
 3) just the fractal object.  I actually misunderstood
    the last contest to be this.  :(

>3. Create a 3D scene which when rendered from a particular position forms an
>   image that tiles the plane.

This last might be too easy to be a contest.  I believe there is
an include file out there that will do it for you automatically.
I think Chris colefax wrote it but I'm note sure off the top of
my head.

>Feel free to suggest others.

I have a few.  I hope this is not too long:

 1) Image re-use.  What I mean is, the contest would
    specify a picture file (or two?) and the point of
    the contest would be to use re-use that picture
    in a new render.  You could use them as pigments,
    you could maybe even UV-map them.  Height field
    would be an option.  using functions to recolor
    the pictures would be creative.  Since the picture
    file would be created/chosen by the contest organizer,
    there would be no copyright problems with it.

 2) finish / remix a scene.  The contest organizer
    would create a partial scene in a .pov file. and
    put it up on the web.  Contestents would download this
    theme and edit their copy.  Some sort of limit
    for the amount of changes should be done but I have
    no idea how that would work.

--
to all the companies who wait until a large user base becomes
dependant on their freeware, then shafting said happy campers with