POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : competition ideas Server Time
3 Aug 2024 16:22:52 EDT (-0400)
  competition ideas (Message 1 to 10 of 15)
From: Paul Bourke
Subject: competition ideas
Date: 26 Mar 2004 02:37:27
Message: <pdb_NOSPAM-78D05D.18372626032004@news.povray.org>
Here are some ideas for a future competition (promted after the SCC3
contest). http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/~pbourke/povray/scc3/final/
Comments, suggestions, votes all welcome. These are in no particular
order. By all means post suggestions to this group but also feel free
to email me as well.

Fast render
-----------
Idea by: Bernard
Create an artistic image that doesn't take long to render.
Voting much like SCC3 but the total vote weighted by the
inverse of the render time.
Concern: Getting the vote formula "just right".

Short time
----------
Idea by: Tek
A theme is distributed and 30 minutes later (or some other short
period) submissions are closed. This reminds me of lightning chess.
Concern: Choosing a topic that minimises the chance of someone
having a scene already on hand.
Concern: Dealing with time zones.

Limited geometry
----------------
Idea by: Gary, Florian, Paul
Create a scene with a limited range and/or number of geometric
primitives. There are a number of variations possible here, one
is "use less than N spheres" when N could be small or perhaps
1 million. Or, use less than N spheres, N planes, N boxes" where
N might be between 2 and 10. Or, we assign a rating to each
primitive and the scene has to be built where the sum of the ratings
don't exceed some value.

Tiling
------
Idea by: Bernard
Create a small tileable (in 2D) image constructed from 3D geometry
Code would be uploaded and rendered at 256 pixels square, it would
presented tiled as a background of a WWW page. As an example see
   http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/~pbourke/tmp/tile/
Voting perhaps the same as IRTC.

3D fractals
-----------
Idea by: Paul (me)
Create a 3 dimensional fractal form, voting might be similar to the
IRTC voting. In terms of creating attractive/interesting images this
has great potential, perhaps not very imaginative (?).
Concern: These often require many primitives and therefore lots of
memory.
Concern: There may be some debate on whether some forms are fractal or
not.

--
Paul Bourke
pdb_NOSPAMswin.edu.au