POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : competition ideas : Re: competition ideas Server Time
3 Aug 2024 08:14:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: competition ideas
From: Paul Bourke
Date: 26 Mar 2004 23:24:32
Message: <pdb_NOSPAM-0DCFA8.15242927032004@news.povray.org>
> 1) I think it would be helpful to have links to the SDL as an extension of
> TXT rather than POV.   If it were to serve as an "evangelistic tract" for
> the program, these snippets of code would have more universal viewability if
> it's not going to have to cause a window browser to search hard drives for
> nonexistent programs.   Even when browsing during coffee breaks in the
> office on a PC on which I've installed povray,  I wasn't always eager to
> execute povray each time I wanted to see an image...............

Hmmm, is that widespread?
I haven't used a MSWindows machine for many years now (don't even thing
I have access to one) so am a bit out of touch but isn't the correct
behavour
1. If there is a mime type set up use that.....therefore no delay.
2. If no mime type then prompt the user. If you don't like the ptompt
   set the mime type to your favurite text editor..the one you use for
   POV.

> 2)  Were all of the ratings of first place, second place, etc., based on the
> points/bytes?   It wasn't clear on my two quick trips to the display site.

See http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/~pbourke/povray/scc3/
First place is points/bytes
Second place is points
Third place is points/bytes^2

> Of the ideas below, I like the time to render one best.

The problem I see with this is that it doesn't mean much to non
POVRay people. The short code contest could be appreciated by a
wide computer literate community. Indeed people these days have a
higher expection when it comes to speed and so some nice image that
takes 1 minute might be considered cool by the POVRay community
but may give other people the impression that POVRay is a slow
renderer.

--
Paul Bourke
pdb_NOSPAMswin.edu.au