POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : IES file format Server Time
3 Aug 2024 16:26:24 EDT (-0400)
  IES file format (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Gianluca Massaccesi
Subject: IES file format
Date: 28 Jan 2004 06:03:14
Message: <401796f2@news.povray.org>
There is a way of introducing angle-dependent light source?
For example considering as input a file in IES format for light sources?

Thanks to anybody can help me!

Gianluca Massaccesi

Post a reply to this message

From: Peter Popov
Subject: Re: IES file format
Date: 28 Jan 2004 19:47:28
Message: <tdlg10d9nvsagu8ulngjobph39raj9vfhv@4ax.com>
On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 12:13:39 +0100, "Gianluca Massaccesi"
<gia### [at] tinit> wrote:

>There is a way of introducing angle-dependent light source?
>For example considering as input a file in IES format for light sources?

I don't know how exactly the data is represented in the IES format but
I guess it's a projection of a spherical surface on a rectangular area
which holds luminosity and/or spectral values. If it can be converted
to PNG with alpha (if necessary), you can use it as an image_map
(map_type 1) on a tiny sphere which you then put around the
light_source and give it no_image. Do not use looks_like because it
implies a no_shadow flag on the sphere and you do want it to cast a
shadow (a filtered luminosity map, sort of). You know, with some luck
I might not even be talking complete gibberish :)

Peter Popov ICQ : 15002700
Personal e-mail : pet### [at] vipbg