POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : IES file format : Re: IES file format Server Time
3 Aug 2024 14:19:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: IES file format
From: Peter Popov
Date: 28 Jan 2004 19:47:28
Message: <tdlg10d9nvsagu8ulngjobph39raj9vfhv@4ax.com>
On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 12:13:39 +0100, "Gianluca Massaccesi"
<gia### [at] tinit> wrote:

>There is a way of introducing angle-dependent light source?
>For example considering as input a file in IES format for light sources?

I don't know how exactly the data is represented in the IES format but
I guess it's a projection of a spherical surface on a rectangular area
which holds luminosity and/or spectral values. If it can be converted
to PNG with alpha (if necessary), you can use it as an image_map
(map_type 1) on a tiny sphere which you then put around the
light_source and give it no_image. Do not use looks_like because it
implies a no_shadow flag on the sphere and you do want it to cast a
shadow (a filtered luminosity map, sort of). You know, with some luck
I might not even be talking complete gibberish :)

Peter Popov ICQ : 15002700
Personal e-mail : pet### [at] vipbg