POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : A good blurred reflection with bumps Server Time
3 Aug 2024 18:16:37 EDT (-0400)
  A good blurred reflection with bumps (Message 1 to 10 of 38)
From: Severi Salminen
Subject: A good blurred reflection with bumps
Date: 4 Jan 2004 18:15:54
Message: <3ff89eaa$1@news.povray.org>
Nothing new, but:

In FAQ at
http://tag.povray.org/povQandT/languageQandT.html#blurredreflection it
is suggested that a good blurred reflection can be achieved using
averaged textures. That is true, but they can also be achieved a lot
faster using normals, for example:

finish {reflection 0.6}
normal {
    bumps 0.16    // This obviously controls the amount of blur
    scale 0.00001 // This must be small enough compared to scene scale
}

The key issue is to use good antialiasing with enough depth. Without AA
it looks very, very bad no matter what values given above. With AA
method 2 and depth=4 it starts to look very good. I think this should be
added to FAQ?

Severi S.

Post a reply to this message

> The key issue is to use good antialiasing with enough depth. Without AA
> it looks very, very bad no matter what values given above. With AA
> method 2 and depth=4 it starts to look very good. I think this should be
> added to FAQ?

How about everaging normals?  And using focal blur to round out the
whole effect.  It's what I'm using for my current project's lineoleum
texture... XD

--
Tim Cook
http://home.bellsouth.net/p/PWP-empyrean