POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : A good blurred reflection with bumps : Re: A good blurred reflection with bumps Server Time
3 Aug 2024 16:27:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A good blurred reflection with bumps
From: Severi Salminen
Date: 5 Jan 2004 15:09:48
Message: <3ff9c48c$1@news.povray.org>
Severi Salminen wrote:

> Warp wrote:
>
>>   The blur trick uses normals as well, but it has a couple of advantages
>> compared to your suggested method:
>>
>>   - Your suggestion requires quite heavy antialiasing to look good.
>

> Yes, I thought this to be non-issue as I want to use quite heavy AA
> normally. But for test renderings it will be an issue. And you are
> correct that the heavy AA makes this otherwise fast method not so fast
> afterall :(

If I may make an addition. If one DOES use heavy AA usually then the
single bumps method produces, of course, a lot faster reflections. Using
AA and many averaged textures slows thing down _a lot_! This depends
also the amount of reflecting surfaces in final image: the more area
there is, the faster the single bumps method will be. And I still think
the averaging and creating randomly moved normals looks and feels very
ugly in scene sources.

Newerthless, I strongly suggest that _both_ methods should be covered in
Pov-FAQ and TAG-Pov-FAQ as both methods have distinct advantages and
disadvantages depending on the actual situation. Would this be possible,
Warp?

Severi S.