POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : A good blurred reflection with bumps : Re: A good blurred reflection with bumps Server Time
3 Aug 2024 16:22:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A good blurred reflection with bumps
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 4 Jan 2004 21:32:22
Message: <cjameshuff-AC8617.21322104012004@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3ff8c0c9$1@news.povray.org>,
 Tim Cook <z99### [at] bellsouthnet> wrote:

> How about everaging normals?  And using focal blur to round out the
> whole effect.  It's what I'm using for my current project's lineoleum
> texture... XD

Averaging normals gives a very different effect. The result of the
averaged normal is a single perturbed normal, which is then used for the
texturing and lighting calculations. The result is not blurred at all.

An average texture computes the texture for each normal and averages the
final colors, the antialiasing method just uses normals to generate fine
detail which is averaged by high antialiasing settings.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: <chr### [at] tagpovrayorg>
http://tag.povray.org/