POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Beta test version of the new mesh compressor program Server Time
3 Aug 2024 16:18:53 EDT (-0400)
  Beta test version of the new mesh compressor program (Message 1 to 10 of 29)
From: Warp
Subject: Beta test version of the new mesh compressor program
Date: 20 Nov 2003 18:37:50
Message: <3fbd504e@news.povray.org>
Finally, after so many years of laziness, I decided to enhance the
mesh compressor program to the POV-Ray 3.5 era. That is, it should
now have full support for mesh2's (reading and writing), as well
as uv-mapping in regular meshes.

  Chris Colefax is still working on the PCM macros and they are not
yet available, so you will only be able to test pov-pov and pov-pcm-pov
conversion. However, I think that most bugs should be possible to find
this way.

  Only Windows-version of the beta, sorry.
  (Oh dear, I would have never thought I would ever say something like
that, but... I'm not quite willing to publish the source before all the
most obvious bugs are fixed... Rest assured, however, that the
command-line version is extremely system-independent. :) )

  You can download the Windows beta version here:

http://www.cs.tut.fi/~warp/WinMeshcomp30_beta.zip

  (In case you don't have the slightest idea what this is all about, see
http://www.geocities.com/ccolefax/pcm.html )

>   Finally, after so many years of laziness, I decided to enhance the
> mesh compressor program to the POV-Ray 3.5 era. That is, it should

Yee hah!  Very cool indeed.

Post a reply to this message

>   Only Windows-version of the beta, sorry.

Excuses, excuses...

http://tinyurl.com/vykx

Post a reply to this message

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 11:11:01 -0000, "Tom Melly" <tom### [at] tomandlucouk> wrote:

>http://tinyurl.com/vykx

LOL

Regards
        Stephen

Post a reply to this message

>>  Only Windows-version of the beta, sorry.
>

> Excuses, excuses...
>
> http://tinyurl.com/vykx

Oh my goodness... that's hilarious. I want one.

--
Jonathan.

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 6 Dec 2003 08:37:20
Message: <3fd1db90@news.povray.org>
Apparently the program is either completely bugless, or doesn't really
interest anyone...
  I hope it's the former. ;)

From: Jim Charter
Date: 6 Dec 2003 09:29:17
Message: <3fd1e7bd$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   Apparently the program is either completely bugless, or doesn't really
> interest anyone...
>   I hope it's the former. ;)

It worked nicely as far as I was able to make use of it.  Unfortunately
I think I need to have the color carry through for my application
(hair).  So, so far I am just using the plain mesh.  But the mesh2 would
give me more memory to work with so the jury is still out on which way I
will comprimise as I increase the number of triangles.

I don't suppose .obj to pcm would be possible?

The thing is that Greg Johnson wrote some interesting macros adapting
the pcm hair macros to give Maya options that might be interesting to
try.  But any modelling I do is exported in .obj among others.
Crossroads works just fine for this so it's hardly a big deal, but it
would shorten the workflow.

-Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 6 Dec 2003 18:19:47
Message: <3fd26413@news.povray.org>
Jim Charter <jrc### [at] msncom> wrote:
> I don't suppose .obj to pcm would be possible?

  Currently you will need to convert the .obj file to a mesh or mesh2
with some converter and then convert it to pcm with my program.

  I don't have the slightest idea what kind of format .obj is, but if
it's simple enough, I might add support for it...

From: Jim Charter
Date: 6 Dec 2003 19:03:36
Message: <3fd26e58$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:

> Jim Charter <jrc### [at] msncom> wrote:
>
>>I don't suppose .obj to pcm would be possible?
>

>   Currently you will need to convert the .obj file to a mesh or mesh2
> with some converter and then convert it to pcm with my program.

I don't think so, you don't read Mesh2 just Mesh.  That is why the need
for Crossroads.  It can read .obj and output Mesh.

>   I don't have the slightest idea what kind of format .obj is, but if
> it's simple enough, I might add support for it...

I think it is originally a Alias/Wavefront format. I actually wondered
if Mesh2 was modelled after .obj in part.  The prob with .obj is that it
comes in a couple of flavors I think.  Something about different line
endings, newline or carriage return.  Since I first tried mesh modelling
in a Maya course it was the format I got used to and have confidence in.
  But it is really a matter of which button to push. Personally I like
to produce mesh models with Wings3D which exports in a number of formats.
Anyway, as I said there is a way to manage the situation.  Support for
.obj or other commom mesh format would give your app more of a
one-stop-shopping place in the workflow.  But the reward would have to
come from the doing I expect.

Btw my present endeavor is trying to apply hair to a mesh such that the
direction it lies in can be controlled more closely.  Have you ever
applied youself to that problem?

Post a reply to this message

From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 6 Dec 2003 19:23:57
Message: <cjameshuff-4B28D6.19233606122003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3fd26413@news.povray.org>, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg>
wrote:

>   Currently you will need to convert the .obj file to a mesh or mesh2
> with some converter and then convert it to pcm with my program.
>
>   I don't have the slightest idea what kind of format .obj is, but if
> it's simple enough, I might add support for it...

http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/~pbourke/geomformats/obj/
(more formats at http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/~pbourke/geomformats/)

http://pipin.tmd.ns.ac.yu/extra/fileformat/3d/index.htm

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/