POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Beta test version of the new mesh compressor program : Re: Beta test version of the new mesh compressor program Server Time
3 Aug 2024 18:22:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Beta test version of the new mesh compressor program
From: Jim Charter
Date: 6 Dec 2003 19:03:36
Message: <3fd26e58$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:

> Jim Charter <jrc### [at] msncom> wrote:
>
>>I don't suppose .obj to pcm would be possible?
>

>   Currently you will need to convert the .obj file to a mesh or mesh2
> with some converter and then convert it to pcm with my program.

I don't think so, you don't read Mesh2 just Mesh.  That is why the need
for Crossroads.  It can read .obj and output Mesh.

>   I don't have the slightest idea what kind of format .obj is, but if
> it's simple enough, I might add support for it...

I think it is originally a Alias/Wavefront format. I actually wondered
if Mesh2 was modelled after .obj in part.  The prob with .obj is that it
comes in a couple of flavors I think.  Something about different line
endings, newline or carriage return.  Since I first tried mesh modelling
in a Maya course it was the format I got used to and have confidence in.
  But it is really a matter of which button to push. Personally I like
to produce mesh models with Wings3D which exports in a number of formats.
Anyway, as I said there is a way to manage the situation.  Support for
.obj or other commom mesh format would give your app more of a
one-stop-shopping place in the workflow.  But the reward would have to
come from the doing I expect.

Btw my present endeavor is trying to apply hair to a mesh such that the
direction it lies in can be controlled more closely.  Have you ever
applied youself to that problem?