POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : output options Server Time
3 Aug 2024 18:22:36 EDT (-0400)
  output options (Message 1 to 10 of 14)
From: Marty
Subject: output options
Date: 4 Nov 2003 06:58:39
Message: <3fa7946f$1@news.povray.org>
is image output direct to jpg going to be an option in the next release
of povray?

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Subject: Re: output options
Date: 4 Nov 2003 07:43:58
Message: <3fa79f0e@news.povray.org>
Marty <1@1.1> wrote:
> is image output direct to jpg going to be an option in the next release
> of povray?

  Why should it be?

  There are many reasons why it's not and never will be supported as
an output file type.

From: Tom Melly
Date: 4 Nov 2003 08:22:03
Message: <3fa7a7fb$1@news.povray.org>
"Marty" <1@1.1> wrote in message news:3fa7946f$1@news.povray.org...
> is image output direct to jpg going to be an option in the next release
> of povray?

Jpeg is a lossy format - not only is it not ideal for the original image on
those grounds, but the way the format works probably means that it is impossible
to render to a jpeg (since you would have to now the values of pixels not yet
calculated when writing to the format).

Just out of curiosity, and apart from the colour depth issue, wouldn't gif have
similiar problems?

Post a reply to this message