POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : output options : Re: output options Server Time
3 Aug 2024 20:16:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: output options
From: Tony LaVigne
Date: 9 Nov 2003 21:15:02
Message: <web.3faef3a6513875ff5cd9832d0@news.povray.org>
Marty wrote:
>is image output direct to jpg going to be an option in the next release
>of povray?

I thought this would be a good idea for a couple of reasons. The first is
that I'm under the impression a jpg can be compressed yet still maintain
the same quality as bmp type file.  This is because I'm assuming;
a) Default quality of a jpg is 80% (100% would be our bmp formated file)
b) each pixel of a jpg indexes a  rgb color map (assuming multi toned)
c) some pixels will have the same rgb value, so they use the same index to
of the color map and that's why the jpg can be compressed, smaller in size
than a bmp file.  Ideally there would be an option  for the quality of a
jpg.

I also thought since it's so widely used it would make POVRAY that much more
user friendly.  For instance I've found bmp's to be much more problematic
for web pages.  Many of us have learned how to convert file formats but I
remember starting out that it was one more hurdle that I had to get around.
  Tony