POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : output options : Re: output options Server Time
3 Aug 2024 20:19:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: output options
From: Nicolas Calimet
Date: 4 Nov 2003 10:01:12
Message: <3FA7BF37.8070902@free.fr>
> but the way the format works probably means that it is impossible
> to render to a jpeg (since you would have to now the values of pixels not yet
> calculated when writing to the format).

	Not "impossible" -> buffers.

	Most other image formats are compressed, which means to know also
"in advance" some amount of pixels before encoding them efficiently into
a compressed form (but it's probably simplier than in the case of JPEG
which uses macroblocks, i.e. image area).

	Anyway, I completely agree that outputing a CG image to JPEG
is completely non-sense (for backup purpose I mean). Moreover, the
JPEG compression algorithms are designed for real-life photographs
(for which loosing colors and precision in details can be acceptable
to a certain extend).

	- NC