POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : output options Server Time
4 Aug 2024 00:27:40 EDT (-0400)
  output options (Message 11 to 14 of 14)
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Subject: Re: output options
Date: 10 Nov 2003 17:52:44
Message: <3fb016bc$1@news.povray.org>
In article <cja### [at] netplexaussieorg> ,
Christopher James Huff <cja### [at] earthlinknet>  wrote:

>> I thought this would be a good idea for a couple of reasons. The first is
>> that I'm under the impression a jpg can be compressed yet still maintain
>> the same quality as bmp type file.  This is because I'm assuming;
>> a) Default quality of a jpg is 80% (100% would be our bmp formated file)
>
> Even a 100% JPEG loses information. JPEG2000 does allow lossless
> compression, however.

Actually, the JPEG specification also allows a lossless compression, but
hardly anybody supports it.  Of course, there would be no gain in compressed
result size over other formats.  More to the contrary :-(

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde