POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : output options : Re: output options Server Time
4 Aug 2024 02:16:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: output options
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 10 Nov 2003 19:21:40
Message: <cjameshuff-B584A9.19202010112003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3fb016bc$1@news.povray.org>,
 "Thorsten Froehlich" <tho### [at] trfde> wrote:

> Actually, the JPEG specification also allows a lossless compression, but
> hardly anybody supports it.  Of course, there would be no gain in compressed
> result size over other formats.  More to the contrary :-(

That's interesting...the pages I read about JPEG2000 implied that it was
a completely new addition. Looks like it about halves file sizes...PNG
is probably far better.
This page appears to have some good information:
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/jpeg-faq/part1/

Specifically, #13: "Isn't there a lossless JPEG?"

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/