POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : output options : Re: output options Server Time
4 Aug 2024 02:19:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: output options
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 11 Nov 2003 13:49:14
Message: <3fb12f2a@news.povray.org>
In article <cja### [at] netplexaussieorg> ,
Christopher James Huff <cja### [at] earthlinknet>  wrote:

> That's interesting...the pages I read about JPEG2000 implied that it was
> a completely new addition. Looks like it about halves file sizes...PNG
> is probably far better.
> This page appears to have some good information:
> http://www.faqs.org/faqs/jpeg-faq/part1/
>
> Specifically, #13: "Isn't there a lossless JPEG?"

Indeed, this summarises it very well.

And actually, what it doesn't say is that you can actually create a
"lossless"  baseline compliant JPEG.  You "just" have to use adequate
quantisation tables (ones that don't drop any data).  However, the catch is
that this would provide nothing but a very simple Huffman code based
compression...

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde