POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Human modeling Server Time
4 Aug 2024 02:19:59 EDT (-0400)
  Human modeling (Message 11 to 14 of 14)
From: Patrick Elliott
Subject: Re: Human modeling
Date: 17 Sep 2003 16:33:06
Message: <MPG.19d27150acdc0f4a9898b3@news.povray.org>
In article <3f67f05e$1@news.povray.org>, z99### [at] bellsouthnet says...
> JC (Exether) wrote:
> > As far as I know the best one for POVRay is Poser.
>
> Poser isn't a human modelling program.  Poser you use models other
> people have made and pose 'em.

What is really needed is something like poser, but which already has
morph points for defining everything, including the length of body parts
and relative position of eyes, etc. The only thing that comes even
close, assuming you don't spend weeks adding a billion unconnected and
therefore nearly useless morph points in Poser, is something designed for
visual modelling for plastic surgeons. It is really sad that the best
possible software exists for this sort of thing, but you have to be a
bloody liposuctionist to afford it, let alone buy it. :(

Of course some professional graphics studios may have some decent stuff
too, but often those things are designed specific to the project and are
not much different than Poser.

--
void main () {

    call functional_code()
  else
    call crash_windows();
}

Post a reply to this message

From: Tim Cook
Date: 17 Sep 2003 16:43:54
Message: <3f68c78a$1@news.povray.org>
If I knew more about programming than shuffling string arrays around
in C, here's what *I'D* try to make:

a program where you set up a rigid skeleton whose joints have a type
parameter, and attach blob or nurbs muscles to points on the bones and
give the muscles properties such as amount they can contract lengthwise
and expand laterally when doing so and a variable that specifies the
amount of contraction for each muscle, string a bunch of these together,
and dip the lot of it in a trace function that follows the normal of
the combined muscles/skeleton and wraps upon that a 'skin'...oh yeah,
and fatty regions and hair.  someone else can do the IK thing, i'm fine
with just manipulating the muscles directly.

of course, the whole thing would export native POV SDL.  maybe a macro?

Post a reply to this message

From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 18 Sep 2003 17:41:27
Message: <MPG.19d3d2d510db18529898b7@news.povray.org>
In article <3f68c78a$1@news.povray.org>, z99### [at] bellsouthnet says...
> If I knew more about programming than shuffling string arrays around
> in C, here's what *I'D* try to make:
>
> a program where you set up a rigid skeleton whose joints have a type
> parameter, and attach blob or nurbs muscles to points on the bones and
> give the muscles properties such as amount they can contract lengthwise
> and expand laterally when doing so and a variable that specifies the
> amount of contraction for each muscle, string a bunch of these together,
> and dip the lot of it in a trace function that follows the normal of
> the combined muscles/skeleton and wraps upon that a 'skin'...oh yeah,
> and fatty regions and hair.  someone else can do the IK thing, i'm fine
> with just manipulating the muscles directly.
>
> of course, the whole thing would export native POV SDL.  maybe a macro?

Yeah. In some ways that would be even better. Some existing modellers do
this, but the limitation is, like with Poser, it is easier to manipulate
existing models than build them. However, there are known measurements
and correlations in the human body. With these they should be no reason
to have to build entirely new models for every different human model. The
problem Poser has is that it lacks sufficient adaptability in this
respect, so 99.9% of the 'models' all look like twins with different
colored hair. lol

You still have to use a form of IK though in something that supports
skeleton and muscle systems, it is just more complex than usual. If you
want a good one, they also appear to more or less do only one thing well,
tend to be hard to make decent models in or are insanely expensive.
Though admitted the ones that bug me the most are ones that do exactly
what I would like, but are "Maya plugins" of the like that can't function
separate from the program they are designed for. :(

--
void main () {

    call functional_code()
  else
    call crash_windows();
}

Post a reply to this message

From: Remco de Korte
Date: 18 Sep 2003 19:19:11
Message: <3F6A3D0A.FB9BA5F9@onwijs.com>
Mike Williams wrote:

> Wasn't it JC (Exether) who wrote:
> >As far as I know the best one for POVRay is Poser.
> >By the way, is there any Poser free copy somewhere on the net, I heard
> >that Poser 4 had been released free, but never could find a copy.
>
> It's unlikely that any version of Poser would be available for download,
> because it's a bit large. The free version of Poser3 is 139Mb, plus 70Mb
> of tutorial files and 33Mb of extra content. Look for P3 on magazine
> discs.

It seems you can download it here:
http://www.egisys.de/registrations/index.php?magazine=pro7&download=poser3
but from your description it seems that this download is not complete as
it is 'only' about 70mb.

Remco