POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Bug: trace and no_image Server Time
4 Aug 2024 02:17:15 EDT (-0400)
  Bug: trace and no_image (Message 1 to 10 of 12)
From: Rune
Subject: Bug: trace and no_image
Date: 12 Sep 2003 06:26:29
Message: <3f619f55$1@news.povray.org>
I don't think that the no_image flag should prevent the trace() function
from detecting the object. And often it does not. But sometimes it does.
Either way, the current behavior is very inconsistent, and must be a
bug. The minimal scene below demonstrates the problem.

// single sphere with no_image is detected by trace
//#declare Object = sphere {1, 0.0 no_image}

// sphere with no_image inside union is not!
#declare Object = union {sphere {0, 0.5} sphere {0, 1.0 no_image}}

#declare N = <0,0,0>;
#declare P = trace(Object,5*y,-y,N);
#debug concat("\n\nP: <",vstr(3,P,",",4,2),">   N:
<",vstr(3,N,",",4,2),">\n\n")

Tested using POV-Ray version 3.5.icl.win32

Rune
rune|vision:  http://runevision.com **updated Jul 25**

> I don't think that the no_image flag should prevent the trace() function
> from detecting the object. And often it does not. But sometimes it does.
> Either way, the current behavior is very inconsistent, and must be a
> bug. The minimal scene below demonstrates the problem.

It does detect the object.  The first object, and that is what it returns.
However, there can of course be more objects in its path...

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde