POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Units of Measure Server Time
4 Aug 2024 08:19:17 EDT (-0400)
  Units of Measure (Message 1 to 10 of 32)
From: Alan Smith
Subject: Units of Measure
Date: 26 Aug 2003 10:03:22
Message: <3f4b68aa$1@news.povray.org>
Am I correct that POV-Ray does not support units of measurement
ie (mm, cm, m, km, in, ft etc)?

Wouldn't it be nice if POV allowed something like :-
box { <-2cm, -1cm, 10mm>,  <2cm, 1cm, 1cm> }

This would lead to more readable code, greater ease of 'real world' scene
modelling with mixed sizes of objects and, most importantly, greater scope
for sharing objects from other people who generously donate their source.

At the moment I achieve this by using suitable declares and coding as :-
box { <-2*cm, -1*cm, 10*mm>,  <2*cm, 1*cm, 1*cm> }

Which goes a long way to meeting my needs, but it still does not do anything
for supporting portability of coded objects between scene files.

This would surely be a simple modification to the parser and would still
leave the ability for people to work in a 'unit-less' fashion if they like?

Alan Smith.

Post a reply to this message