POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Units of Measure : Re: Units of Measure Server Time
4 Aug 2024 00:26:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Units of Measure
From: Alan Smith
Date: 26 Aug 2003 12:06:26
Message: <3f4b8582$1@news.povray.org>
As I said in my original posting, I would not want to force people to
have to use units on dimensions - it would be optional.
Quote - "This would surely be a simple modification to the parser and
would still leave the ability for people to work in a 'unit-less' fashion if
they like?"

You said there is no difference between various units.inc - I beg to differ.
Sonya Roberts "Units" include file is not deployed with the POV Ray
installation as
far as I know, so tomorrow (lets say) I'm going to release onto the Web my
own
comprehensive version of units.inc which contains :-

#declare in = 1
#declare ft = 12
#declare cm = 2.51
etc etc etc

A box{ <0cm,0cm,0cm>,<1cm,1cm,1cm>} written against Sonya Roberts include
file will
translate into a 1 unit cube by povray and under my Units.inc it would
translate into a 2.51
units cube within Povray.    Therefore any object taken from a scene written
using the former
include file will need scaling if incorporated into one using the second.
The situation is made
worse if someone has not even used any units in the first place.   Or
someone may have defined
their own unit declarations.

All I'm saying it that -

a) It would be nice if people were encouraged to use (but optional)
dimensional units
in 'real world' modelling and in a standardised way.
b) The above would be encouraged by formalising the concept into Povray so
everyone knows
and works of the same definitions.
c) It would lead to greater readability of the source file.
d) It would mean it is easier to cut and paste objects from other peoples
files.

Alan Smith.

"ABX" <abx### [at] abxartpl> wrote in message
> On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 15:56:04 +0100, "Alan Smith"
<ala### [at] aurora-ukcom>